Volks AutosEM Tuning
    1st Gear

Status

Funny noise after fitting induction kit

I had a new induction kit floating about so stuck it on but straight after it started a fast clicking noise around 10-20 seconds after starting the engine. But if I turn off the heaters in the car it stops.

Its a 1999 1.8t with aircon

Any ideas?

Cheers jay

2. # ADS
    ADS

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    Wheres the ticking noise sound like its coming from maybe the canister solinoid valve (little round brown electrovalve) on top of airbox these can cause a rapid ticking noise but only really heard under the bonnet maybe when your turning heaters on its drowning the ticking out ???
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

1st Gear

Status
    Little update on this its got nothing to do with my induction kit as I've put it back to standard. Had it nearly a week now and discovered 2 ticking noises for different reasons. Oh the joy of buying a cheap facelift a4.

1: faint tick when I lift off the throttle, coming from turbo side of engine (still have full boost though)
    2: loud tick only when heaters are turned on.

Any help would be hugely appriciated this car is getting on my tits already.
    Last edited by steady jay; 19th August 2012 at 17:50. Reason: I can't spell

Status
    The tick sounds lick the wastegate penny valve mine did this but was only seeing half boost use a stethoscope (how ever you spell it lol) or a pry bar placing it on the turbine side of the turbo and rev the car from the throttle body with your hand as you let off you should here it as clear as day if it is.

Heres mine totally fubar'd lol

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

1st Gear

Status
    Damn was really hoping it weren't my turbo. Ain't it odd that I've still got full boost?

Status
    You can have full boost as aragorns did and every other case ive seen or heard of just mine that lost boost and that was the cause of my good hours wasted looking for boost leaks and swapping out parts lol

It depends on how loose the penny is on the arm mine was clinging on for dear life lol

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Our FWD drove around for ages rattling then fell off eventually. Would only rattle on overrun though. The turbo ive recently removed from the avant was also rattling, and on removal it had a huge groove all round the wastegate penny, and both the rivet that holds it onto the arm was worn as well as the bushing that supports the arm as it passes thru the housing.

The loud ticking with your heater on is probably either a faulty blower fan or something stuck in the blower fan. Take it out and have a look.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

1st Gear

Status
    Ah man I have a spare turbo just had a look the penny valve looks ok bit it's got a cracked housing.

1st Gear

Status
    Say I have a budget of £6/700 in 2 months what so of turbo upgrade could I get. Ecu has already been flashed

Status
    Says s3 golf but its actually passat or A4

k04 turbo kit audi s3 seat leon cupra r audi tt 225 agu mk2 golf ibiza vw 300hp | eBay

And you wont see 300hp aswel more like 220hp

1st Gear

Status
    To be honest I never had any intention of upgrading the turbo on this one but seeing as mine will be dead in a few months I may as well upgrade.

1st Gear

Status
    Update on the the noise after turning on climate control, it's defenatly not the motor blower as the noise is coming from what sounds like the sump!!???

Status
    Have you checked the turbo with a stethoscope also could be the cam chain tensioner.

1st Gear

Status
    Sorry mate just had the father in-law find out I'm a absolute tw*t. When I turn it all on and press econ no noise at all.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    ECON shuts off the AC compressor

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

1st Gear

Status
    So air con compressor is dead probably

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    or belt, or tensioner

Quote Originally Posted by steady jay View Post
    So air con compressor is dead probably

1st Gear

Status
    That's not too bad as long I've got some sort of heat pumping through ready for winter. I've got a list the length of my arm, but k04 is at the top to replace my soon to be dead k03

Status
    One thing is that list wont get any shorter :P

1st Gear

Status
    Don't doubt that for a second mate