My Gearbox

Iceash

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I’ve noticed if I sit in 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] gear around the 3k mk, I get a very slight whine. Not the grinding sound of failed bearings so I believe anyway. I’ve had them fail on the input shaft before and that’s a racket!

so I’m wondering if others with the 1.8t engines notice there gear whine slightly?

If accelerating the engine drowns it out lol it’s only while holding at the 3k rev mk as such.

Thanks,

Ash

yeh i notice it at times on mine too.

It also makes a horrible noise if you apply a sideways force to the shifter in the lower gears, ie if your in 2nd, and pull the stick towards fourth.

So just crappy gearbox's then rather than a fault? Syncomesh being noisy at a guess? I'll try the moving the stick round and let you know what i find

mine started whining after the oil level got low, and then has continued doing it after it was filled back up, so i guess i've slightly damaged one of the bearings with the low oil level...

Mines not Lost oil. But I've heard the second gear hub is a bit crap. Well as long as it doesn't damage the shaft it's not a big deal :)

yep :) even changed it recently for the hell of it level always been fine :)

Cool, mine had no real noticable leaks bar a slight weep from the selector shaft seal.

Took a litre of oil though!