Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

new owner, few questions

Hi,

After a few months of looking, i finally signed up for a nice smoke silver 1.8T sport on a S plate. Going to pick it up next sat or the one after.

The whole car is in good condition and sounds sweet. It goes well too!!!!

I just have a couple of questions to be going on with.

There was no changer in the boot, and it has the concert head unit and Bose speakers. Is it possible for me to connect my kenwood 10disc player up to the concert? or will i need to source an audi changer and lead?

Also, there was no tool kit either. In the x reg car i looked at, this had botha changer and a tool kit in a cubby on the l.h.s of the boot. Is this boot trim retro fittable? and where can i get hold of a tool kit?

Thanks for your time.

Will post pics when i get the car and learn ow to get the pics on the forum.

Nige

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

Re: new owner, few questions

The trim should be ok but you will need the boot loader/first aid/tool kit bracket.

Can't find and info on Kenwood adapter leads but you can pickup an Audi one quite cheap.

Status

Audi changers are always on ebay, they go for about 120.
    There is no Kenwood interface kit available that I know of, only Panasonic, Sony & Alpine.
    I wouldn't worry about the toolkit the only useful thing in it is the locking wheel nut (I'm assuming you've got that!)
    The wheel brace is next to useless, although the little tweezers are handy for removing the wheel nut caps. I take it it has a jack as these are 50 from Audi, (I broke mine jacking up something it wasn't designed to jack up).

Reverse Gear

Status

I'd check for the jack at the very least, it may be that they are breaking the law by selling the car without one as you wouldnt be able to change the tyre in the event of a puncture.

That could be balls information, but its illegal to drive without a spare tyre (or run-flats), so i assume it may be illegal to drive without the means to change it.... anyone know? if it is you may be able to get a new toolkit out of them from a dealer.

as for where to source a toolkit and trim, give a scrappy a ring, they should have loads..

Status

The RS4 as no spare so I don't think having no spare is illegal.

imported_VaulterTim

It is not illegal to drive without a spare but get this... it IS illegal to drive with a FLAT/FAULTY spare!

Who makes these laws!!!!? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Doh!

Re. CD changer etc... you could always get yourself a nice Pahtnoise box for a simliar price to the changer... US e-bay should come in handy there if you can find the right one... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

T

Grumpy Old Man

Status

There is no legal requirement to have a spare wheel, and when you think about, there's no reason why there should be. After all, if you have a flat, and have no spare, the inconvenience and cost of recovery is your own, but you're no risk to yourself or any one else.

But if you DO have a spare, you may need to use it on the car at some time, therefore it has to meet all legal requirements same as any other tyre.

Why is that so illogical? Seems pretty simple and straightforward to me.

Status

Yes, but you could end up blocking a lane on a road with no hard shoulder, seen it many times. O that muppet who was changing his wheel in the fast lane on the M25.

Grumpy Old Man

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes, but you could end up blocking a lane on a road with no hard shoulder, seen it many times. O that muppet who was changing his wheel in the fast lane on the M25.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your two examples seem to deal with both scenarios, one where a spare's not carried, and the other where it is.

Regards number two, that's got nowt to do with the law on spare wheels, but the fact that some people are just kn0bheads.

As regards number one, a car can break down and block a lane for any number of reasons. Statistically, I would imagine a mechanical or electrical breakdown occurs more frequently that a flat tyre (they are rarer than you might imagine).

imported_CurryMilkShake

The A2 is not supplied with a spare at all from new.. I think it just gets a can of some inflating/sealant spray..

and yes a mate of mine got done a few yrs back for having a flat and bald spare! (mind you, I think he was giving them a lot of mouth at the time!)

A friend of mine who started his own mobile tyre business this year is picking up a lot of work from the AA.. cos they have no means of carrying out tyre repairs at the roadside when people have duff spares, and its cheaper than calling out a low loader truck to get them home!

Grumpy Old Man

Status

Slightly at a tangent, but close to the original topic, how often do you seen cars with plastic wheel covers secured to the steel rim with cable-ties?

How many of those owners do you think has a perfect condition spare in the boot, but doesn't keep a pair of cutters in the car?

1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]

and yes a mate of mine got done a few yrs back for having a flat and bald spare! (mind you, I think he was giving them a lot of mouth at the time!)

[/ QUOTE ]

So you can be charged by the police for having a blad spare but I know that the MOT test doesn't even check for a spare let alone what condition it is in.
    How nuts is that?

John

Status

I guess the MOT couldn't cope with cars on run flats, though I doubt it's that up to date.
    So what if you're stopped by the police with no spare but you've just been to pick up some secondhand wheels which have bald tyres on them? I guess they'll do you 4 times over!

Grumpy Old Man

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I guess the MOT couldn't cope with cars on run flats, though I doubt it's that up to date.
    So what if you're stopped by the police with no spare but you've just been to pick up some secondhand wheels which have bald tyres on them? I guess they'll do you 4 times over!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLOLOL! Only you could come up with that one, Andymac!
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

Status

Only cause I'm unlucky enough for it to happen to me

Status

Sorry please rearrange the above words so they form a coherent sentence

Reverse Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, got to be careful though, bet theres a policeman out there that would...

Neutral

Status

Yes the car had a jack and plastic bag with the wheel brace in. Not worried about that, as i will carry a torque wrench in there for when those airgun toters? thrape me nuts up too tight!!!!!!

Thanks for the info on the changers. Dont want to have to fork out more money just yet. I have a pukka kenwood mask headunit that i could put in, will see how i like the sound of the concert. I could always sell my gear to fund the new stuff.

Thanks for all your help.

By the way, whats a phatnoise box?

Regards

nige

Neutral

Status

i now know what a phatnoise box is.

Status

That's all I got with my A4.

Reverse Gear

Status

A kenwood adapter for your existing head unit does exist. You can either use an adapter at the head unit and use your kenwood cable, or a boot mount converter to use your existing oem cable.

Status

Found one and they cover most makes.

Kenwood CD changer adapter

imported_VaulterTim

Opinions on the Phatnoise Box?

Just ordered one from the States for silly money [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

Literally just fitted one - awesome and really easy to fit. Slotted straight into the slot vacated by the multichanger.

If you have problems with cables let me know - I have tracked down a cable that Audi seem to think will fit....

Enjoy.....

Greg

imported_VaulterTim

I'm sure fitment is a doddle, I was more interested in actual operation etc. How do they perform?

I was of the opinion that the box itself uses the same cable as the OE CD changer... is this not true? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Status

I haven't experienced one, but have heard stories from other people of hard drive noise filtering through, and also very quiet playback compared to a CD.
    I guess these factors are down to installation and how you've ripped the files onto the box.
    It's definately the way forward though.

1st Gear

Status

It seems to perform really well - easy to use and basically does what it says on the box. The unit has a cable between it and the Audi round CD connector (in my car the round connector also had a cable plugged into it which in turn plugged into the CD changer).

It is quieter that the CD player (although not by much) but I have a couple of amps in my car anyway so just turn it up a tiny bit more to compensate. Works fine with traffic info etc aswell. Getting into the car and sticking the box onto random play is great, it also supports playlists etc so you could easily make up lists of driving songs.

At the price Audi charge I would not have bought one but at the price they are in the US it just seems silly not to.

By the way - Audi initially denied that they sell the cable to connect the phatnoise to earlier model A4`s eventually after four calls came back with 000 051 592C (they did state that they were not 100% sure but would refund if it was incorrect). Costs about 40 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Reverse Gear

Status

did you order 000 051 592C ? if so did it work?

another question, how annoying is the american voice?

1st Gear

Status

I didn't order the part (mine came with one in the end).

The American voice is fine (for an american voice!!).

Greg