B5 QTS rear brakes replacement

Kingfisher

Reaction score
Mrs kingfisher's QTS has had an advisory on the very recent MOT rear discs/corroded/worn but not affecting function ( or similar words).
Not too bad, 84k on original discs although pads were changed at 38k ( umm -- not convinced that was needed as there is still plenty of life in the current pads.)
So:
i)go for genuine Audi replacements ( local dealer menu price £259 total )
I understand that the Audi parts are good quality and pads work well/last.

ii)replace with something better , I have used Tarox in the past, on another Audi, but we both prefer the stealth look of plain discs so would need to be the Zero version ( and the G88s I used were inclined to whine a bit on fast stops)
About £180 + £60 for pads + labour ( one hour ?? )

iii)Upgrade from 245 mms to 255mms plain discs pre face lift S4 - I would need two new (secondhand if in excellent condition) S4 caliper mounting pins/bracket - cannot be much of a market for those so should be able to pick up cheap !
Backing plates may need changing?

Generally it is used for relatively short distances, does less than 5k a year, and she doesn't drive fast/use the brakes a lot -- I welly it more, especially when on my own !!

Based on the longevity of the originals, disc and pad life is immaterial and I always prefer 'wear quicker it it works better' and dusty wheels would just have to be cleaned more often.

Car was chipped in 2000 and had 312mms upgrade on the front approx 45k miles ago.

Any helpful comments?
Mrs kingfisher says go for the £259 option, koz it's easy, so I'd need a good arguement.....
Thanks

Well i got mine from mtec on ebay with mintex pads for £74 quid just because they were down to metal and didnt have chance to source parts for vented FL S4 brakes so just replaced with standard sized items look good with wheels off but are hard to see with the boleros on braking is miles better with the 312mm upfront and goodridge hoses and ate super blue !! Will probably do the FL S4 upgrade at a later date.

27b9b7f5.jpg

That looks quite nice.
Forgot about hoses - after 13 years the old ones must be a bit yucky, fluid is usually changed every two years.

Id pop your head under as mine were split right through on the front ones god knows how it passed the mot before i bought it must of been someone similar to the lads i work with as mine never fails lol

just get some standard disks from the factors, and get some decent pads. I've just ordered up a full set of Ferodo Premiers for the missus car, as they get rave reviews over on SRS.

Its got mintex redbox on there just now, and TBH they're a bit crap.

The mintex on mine seem quite bitey even when hot just presume the drilled and grooved disc are making things a little better.

They were alright when new, but they've been useless for a while now, i expect they've become glazed up.

They've done about 50k and are only half worn! I've just decided they need replacing as they're that bad.

Yes I've been reading about the Ferodo Premiers on SRS. I know these cars aren't as quick as the S4 but they still weigh a similar amount and still get up to a fair speed - just takes a bit longer !
Yes I rekon these rears are only half worn - after about 45k miles .....

I've just ordered up a full set of Ferodo Premiers for the missus car, as they get rave reviews over on SRS.
Are you able to give me any part numbers for these, especially the rear but I should look at the fronts as well just to be sure they are/ are not OK.
Thanks