Which battery '96 A4 1.8 T with aircon

Oranoco

Reaction score
Website
www.passionford.com
Battery has just died and the motorfactors only list the same as what's in there with the positive on the right which means youi have to put it in the wrong way round burying the terminals under the plastic skuttle. I need the same as what I have but with the positive on the left.

Factors are adamant their book isn't wrong but gave me a Bosch which when I just tried to put it in have found it to be far too big in ever aspect!

Help as I'm having to jump start the car every time we stop!

Later A4's have the leads the other way round.

Usually you just add (or subtract) 1 from the bosch part number to get the battery with the terminals the other way round.

So for instance a Bosch S4-008 will fit later cars, and an S4-009 is the same as a 008 but with reversed terminals.

What battery did they give you?

027 was what they tried to give me which is what the previous owner had fitted and the other battery was just a big old Bosch thing that had the terminals in the right places just far to big every other way possible.

Should I be after an 026 or 029 then? It's only a minor niggle but if I'm going to shell out on a new one I want the right one.

027 is totally wrong lol.

Seems far too tall.

Maybe try a Bosch 006 if the 009 is too big? Its the next size down. 009 should fit though.

Saddly 027 is what the books say is right and Euro Car Parts also lists it as being an 027 :( Chap in the factors looked totally baffled when I told him it was wrong and was adamant it was correct and that nobody had complained before. I did point out that most people just bodge it in by putting it in the wrong way round.

Wouldn't mind but I can't even drive the thing at the moment, it feels really odd being in my passenger seat whilst my girlfriend drives it.

Right. Getting interesting. My brother has been poking about and all battery books list the same batteries for my car. Either 027 or Bosch 096.

He has come to the conclusion that I need either an 096R, which seem exceptionally thin on the ground or an 086.

Anybody able to confirm or condemn as I can't return it if it's wrong. Failing that can I swap my large power cable for facelift cars one so I can use the suggested battery normally??

Well after an evening running through things with my brother it has become apparennt that unless I want a rubbish battery I cannot obtain an 096R or an 086 :(

Does anybody know if I can swap a big red power cable over from a facelift car to my pre facelift. Is anybody breaking a facelift car in the Herts/Beds/Bucks area?

Can't beleive how difficult it is to try and fit the right battery :sorry:

Will look at 006 and 009. My brother gets batteries trade so don't want to pay 80 for a battery he can theoretically get for 40.

If a 006 or 009 definately fits and is spec'd to operate right I'll get one. If he gets it and it's no good I can't return it.

the 009 seems to be the new code for the 086/096R you mentioned above.

006 is a bit shorter but should also fit.

Right, finally getting somewhere with this. After much faffing..

As Aragorn said the 006 (078) matches up apart from being 4mm narrower than the wrongly recomended 027 (246mm). To use the discount code I have even managed to track down the battery is used in the 2002/5 Daewoo Tacuma 2 litre.

Does anybody know what the 009 (086) would be used in??

I fitted the Bosch 006 battery and with the plastic scuttle cover it's still too tall. Unfortunately as I went against their book I wasn't able to return it to try another one so have had to put up with it holding the battery cover up a little. :(

I fitted the Bosch 006 battery and with the plastic scuttle cover it's still too tall. Unfortunately as I went against their book I wasn't able to return it to try another one so have had to put up with it holding the battery cover up a little. :(

Hmmm. Seems to be a bit of a minefield. All the batteries in question (027, 006 and 009) supposedly have a height of 190mm? I am going to have to stop being lazy, get out the tape measure and go out in the cold. :lmfao: