2.5 Quattro smoking issues HELP!!!!!

Harrishawker

Reaction score
Hi there just joined forum just don't where to turn with this car . I bought this car other week a4 2.5 tdi auto Quattro 95000 miles full Audi sh when idleing smokes like a chimney also limp mode . Been in garage for a week now changed airflow mass meter blanked egr valve changed turbo still the same cant be certain turbo is good what I changed oil leaking from manifold side of turbo . Anybody can help I would be more than grateful . On the verge of buying recon turbo ????

Have you checked the rest of the system for air leaks? How much oil is there in the intake system and what kind of smoke is it? Blue black / oil fuel? If you look at the boost pipes do any of them look wet with oil around the joints?

A

Yes are these the big pipes going to turbo ! But there is oil on other side of turbo where it bolts upto manifold

Snap on computer plugged in saying manifold pressure lack of

white smoke is usually either coolant, or unburned fuel.

Coolant suggests head gasket, unburned fuel suggests an injector pump or timing issue.

It could also be oil, in some situations burning oil looks white/grey, other times its blue.

What year is the audi ? Up to 2000 they had a engine breather which used to clog, later ones use a modified "venturi" effect breather which does not block anymore. If the turbo is leaking oil from the exhaust side then it's the breather or the oil seals are shot. Pop the oil filler cap whilst the engine is running and lf there's pressure built up then the filter is blocked. Buy the later style for the AKE engine...

Thank for info sorry about delay in replying been on nights in work . My car is a 1998 s reg where is this breather located on engine ??? This could be the problem .

adam is correct, i had the A6 V6 tdi 2.5 and that started chucking out clouds of white smoke, never dropped into limp mode. turned out to be the breather once it was changed all was right in the world again

take the oil filler cap off with it running and place it back on (without twisting it to lock it on) hold it there with your finger. slowly remove the pressure on the cap that your holding it on with. just as you fully remove your finger off it does it start puffing crank case gasses out?

dose it have oil leaks a plenty?

tbh as adamss24 said if the breather filter unit has never been changed to the newer type then it needs changing anyway.
its located the between the vee. it looks like a plastic cap with a metal section on top of it with the breather pipe coming off it. if you bob the engine cover off and look below the back of the injection pump its there. the egr pipe/valve is slightly in the way but theres just two 30 torx bolts holding it in. not hard to change on the b5s.

Hi just stripped car down I.e manifold ,turbo had to remove injector pipes to get to filter took it out cloth type in middle black it was . But looked inside exhaust and there's no oil ordering new filter monday and gaskets etc. what is part no for gasket . Someone said get later filter they don't block up done check when running with oil cap and pressure come out

The new breather will solve the smoking issue it won't fix your low power issue ! The turbo needs cleaning internally- the VNT mechanism clogs with time and will blow the boost control solenoid. Get it cleaned whilst in pieces and make sure you get the later breather for AKE/BAU/BCZ/BDG engines...

Thanks for that I'll be made up if it stops smoking like rave ons smoke machine on phoniex nights lol . I checked pressure and sure enough it was pressured good ! Not using any oil according to the oil dipstick my friend said actuated not traveling enough on turbo will this be down to smoke filter etc..... VO59103464 B ?????? New style

How do I clean inside of turbo ? Where is boost control solenoid I'm takin inter cooler pipes to work tonight to soak in jizer overnight hopefully this will do job ???????????

How do I clean inside of turbo ? Where is boost control solenoid I'm takin inter cooler pipes to work tonight to soak in jizer overnight hopefully this will do job ???????????
Would not bother too much with the inter cooler pipes just make sure there is no oil dripping out of them. You will need to split the hot side -held with 6 hex bolts- and clean the adjusting mechanism- take loads of pictures and make a mark with paint/tipex of the mating faces- will help lining them up on refitting. DO NOT undo the center nut that holds the compressor wheels onto the shaft- don't think you're daft but i've seen it before- it will get out of balance and will destroy the turbo in no time ! On the 150 Bhp the boost control solenoid is on the driver side next to the fuel filter- it's the valve with vacuum pipes sticking out- follow the hose from the turbo actuator !

thanks for that do you think it worth me getting a new boost control solenoid , because my freind said turbo actuator wasnt going up and down far enough ??? not going to take turbo to bits just in case i f k it up going to audi tomorrow to order new crankshaft filter ,manifold gaskets etc how much do u think im looking to buy all these parts ??