Cleaning MAF...?

I

imported_ZeroK66

Hello all,

My 2.8q 30v has nearly 95k on the clock and feels a lil hesitant at times and as it is fitted with a K&N filter - I wonder if it would be worth cleaning the MAF.

How do I do this without breaking it?

Isopropanol spray is the best... you can get it from places like Tandy, RS, that sort of thing. Unsure of cost.

Do a search on here for more info, it's been covered quite a bit.

T

Lots of threads on Audiworld on this, do a search and you will find a couple of in depth articles, none from memory were very successful.

Did see another thing recently on this pointing to a bad contact between the MAF and connecting plug. Apparently a dirty contact at this point can give similar problems, makessense really. Advise is to give this a clean with electric contact cleaner. Let us know how you get on.

Right... so I have done it...

Took the first plastic cover off the air cleaner area and you can see the lug plugged into the MAF.

I unplugged this, and went to un-screw the MAF. ******... the screws used require a special tool. I got hold of a set of pliers - grabbed the head of the screw and loosened it this way - came off easy enough.

I left the sensor part of the MAF submerged in 98% alcohol for about 20 mins and then a few mins out to dry.

Popped it back in, plugged it in, turned the key and hey presto... it started. Been driving it for a few days and it seems smoother. I used to have a flat spot around 3500-4500RPM which now seems to be cleared. See how the economy goes.

Cheers,

It should be on the pipe between the airbox and the inlet manifold... probably the only thing that has wires going to it on that pipe.

It's IN the airbox... take off the top and you will see it mounted in there. Inside a plastic cylindrical housing.