What have you done today?

Did this installation a couple of weeks back but wanted to tested it fits before posting

I purchased a DEFA warmup kit and engine warmer, as I cannot be bothered any more with scraping the windows at 6am in the morning and getting into a freezing cold car, and as the engine heater was only an extra £60 thanks to ebay.de figured it was also worth a punt.

I forgot to take a kit pic so using one I found. Everything is the same but the engine heater is slightly different than want is shown in that pic. The plug is euro only so had to chop the end off and fit a UK plug.

7fkx.jpg

This is the engine heater for the Audi, the biggest problem was securing it to the engine, the brackets that come with the heater are very generic and you do need to customise them to fit.

c2yh.jpg

The only other issue was cutting the coolant pipes, it has to be fitted to the pipe work going into the oil cooler and their is not much room to work, and it does give some concern cutting into the cars coolant pipes.

ecpi.jpg

The heaters are a 240V system so the wiring had to be ran into the car and a socket placed on the front, decided just to cut one of the bumper grill rather than do any lasting damage to the bumper.

mgec.jpg

tvfi.jpg

One of the issues was running the cable into the car for the heater, I didn't want to drill any holes in the car and the cable was to short to route via the ECU box, so found a way in via the passenger side wheel arch, only had to make a small cut in the boot and push the cable in then just for good measure put a small amount of silicone around it.

kamb.jpg

Final job was to fit the heater just below the glove box, it not in the final position as I'm going to push it further back.

3776.jpg

One thing I forgot to add was the cost of an outside socket, simple enough job but RCD sockets are not cheap. The socket is on a timer and comes on at 5am and switches off at 6am. It has made a difference to starting the engine in the morning and it takes around 2 miles less to get up to temperature.

Attachments

• 7fkx.jpg
    7fkx.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 366
Reactions: PAULF
Off topic of cars etc but i might not be on here as much now as the mrs gave birth to my little boy ronnie early hours this morning so il be probably gone for a while but pop back now and then to update my thread when i get chance to throw the tub on if i ever do that is lol

Reactions: ScottD3, B5 BIKER, B5QUAT and 4 others
Off topic of cars etc but i might not be on here as much now as the mrs gave birth to my little boy ronnie early hours this morning so il be probably gone for a while but pop back now and then to update my thread when i get chance to throw the tub on if i ever do that is lol

To be fair, I don't think you did a lot ;) I remember my wife giving birth well...I just sat and watched.

Enjoy the sleepless nights and congratulations mate! Great name too!!

Reactions: Bradderz_1988
Just changed the coolant temp sensor on the wifes A6 2.4 as was running rough.
Not as easy as the 1.8 engine, the V6 has less room, but a job well done, having a cold beer after burning my hand
Fitted new reversing sensor yesterday too, all good now.

Well i've finally got mine back on its wheels after a week of being on Jackstands.

Last weekend a mate came down and we planned to strip the rear suspension, replace uprights and wishbones (i'd fitted out my spares with new bushes and bearings), and also replace the rear diff which i thaught was causing my whine.

We figured it was a decent weekends work, but we hadnt considered that the weather would be utter ****e and slow us down significantly. I also hadnt quite finished fitting the new bushes so finishing that off killed a couple hours too.

By end of Sunday, the car had everything stripped out, the diff removed, and the new diff mounted up. Handbrake cables were swapped over onto the new wishbones and everything was ready to go back in, but we'd run out of time and daylight.

I was working at the start of the week, so didnt get near it, but on thursday i was off, so i set about it and got the wishbones and uprights mounted on both sides and torqued up. Powering along nicely until it came to the brake hoses. The fixings between the subframe and flexi hose were totally siezed and rounded. Not a chance of getting them off, so i ended up cutting them back and decided to make up a small section to extend the pipe at each side. Unfortuntely my flaring tool is totally ****e, and working under a car just made it worse, to the point that it was impossible to actually make a decent flare. I gave up in the end and ordered a replacement flaring tool.

That arrived this morning (Amazon super extra fast delivery!) so i got stuck in, again in the ******* rain. Much better tool and i got the flares made, pipe extensions in place, then realised the flexis i had were wrong. I'd given Jason the part number for FWD inner flexis rather than Quattro ones, and they were too long. Luckily i had some old ones in the garage , so i temporarily nailed those on and nailed it all back together to see if it was better.

The wheel bearings are nice and quiet now, which is nice, but the ****ing transmission whine is completely unchanged. I can only imagine its the main gearbox. I fitted very stiff gearbox mounts, so i'm going to repalce those ASAP and see if that quietens things down. My mushy brake pedal (remember last year?) has also made a return, but i'm fairly sure thats simply down to the ****** impossible to bleed rear calipers. I need to replace those crap re-used flexis anyway, so i'll rebleed them once i get them swapped over.

The wheel alignment is now also away to hell (unsurprisingly!), so i'll need to try and get that sorted tomorrow.

Alignment sorted today at Kwikfit. Dont usually like using them as they tend to be overpriced, but they're local, open on a sunday and have a proper hunter alignment kit.

As expected the settings were MILES out, but everything dialed in nicely. I also got them to stick a new valve into one of my wheels as it seemed to be leaking around the base.

Just need to get these gearbox mounts when i get paid and see if that sorts out the vibrations/whining.

Also, i finally got the S4 exhaust fitted to the avant last week. Its actually made a really noticable difference to performance. I'd never have thaught it would make any difference (at least not until it was tuned and running lots of boost) but even with the standard cat and downpipe still in place theres a definite improvement in performance, such that its actually caught me out a few times, and after driving it my car feels ****** slow :(. I know its taken literally years for this car to progress in any way, but if this is the performance its got at 11-12psi, 18-20 is going to be a ****** hoot!

I need to sort out the ME7 parts and get it mapped!

aragorn - which part of the S4 exhaust did you fit?
do they have a separate exhaust system running from each side of the V6?

went to top-up power steering fluid with Febi's finest G00 2000,
ended up sucking the old stuff out of the reservoir and flushing through with the new fluid [given I had 1 litre bottle]

has defo removed a little vagueness from steering, feels more direct now.

no idea how old the fluid in there could have been

Whole thing just before the Y pipe to the tailpipes.

The S4 obviously has two downpipes, and the middle box starts as two pipes then Y's down into a single 2.5" pipe about a foot before the mid box.

Pic of a stock S4 system:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/thecsho/DSCN2020.jpg

I chopped the y pipe off, and had the exhaust shop re-create the part forward from there to the downpipe.

Basically a cheap way of getting a 2.5" exhaust thats a bit less restrictive than the standard one. It doesnt make any more noise etc, sounds completely stock. The only thing thats annoyed me is the tailpipes dont stick out the bumper properly. Not sure if thats normal on an S4, or if the guys fitted it oddly.

Woke up with a bit of a head. Went back to sleep. Woke up again and stumbled downstairs to make a coffee and realised

1. it was sunny
2. it wasn't raining

3. I had a window of opportunity to change the ailing battery!!

NOPE just got as far [luckily] as removing the trim from the windscreen and sussing the socket sizes when the phone goes off, called away, service tech required at turbine blah at blah site...:banghead:

did nothing at all to mine in the process of looking for bits that i want to change or upgrade...

First, sorry for the long post.

Did a few little jobs today. Changed the k&n panel filter to an oem paper filter. Also had an advisory on the mot that indicator bulbs were looking a little white/ pale so changed the side repeaters and fronts.

Found a few gremlins on the way too...

First was side repeaters, nice and easy but needed a little cleaning of nice green stuff. I think they look a lot better cleaned up now. The inside is still slightly green in a few places but I'm not about to split them open. Might replace them with smoked repeaters at some point, but can't be bothered yet.

20140202_144131_zpscifuk4rb.jpg

20140202_144230_zpszva07sej.jpg

20140202_144533_zpskyetiimf.jpg

Next was the air filter. Found that the first air intake section is split so will look at getting a new one as the crack will definitely be letting air out.

20140202_142953_zpsv8lbbpy2.jpg

Then when replacing the filter I found that it's had an air box mod in its former life, so might look at getting a new lower air box to go back oem also or just covering the holes, but I guess that's more work than replacing it?

20140202_141801_zpsadwxleec.jpg

Also, what screws are they that fasten that first section of air filter in? One was rounded off so had to drill it out and then I also lost the small retaining clip in it due to the split.

Any idea on part numbers for them, or are they a generic thing?

Also, the passenger headlight mounts are busted. I knew the top ones were, but the one down the back is too. From some stress marks on the front bumper it looks like it's had a bump at some point. But now need to look at fixing the rear headlight mounting point. No idea how yet.

There are three B5s I PFL and two FL breaking in the scrap yard in Perth. I have had a heater fan and wing mirror glass off them, one has a beige leather interior, 2.8q could have a look for air box etc

I have no idea whether it's the same air box or not, and living a million miles away it might not be cheap to post, cheers though mate!

I'm gonna go check out the local scrappies down near me, I've not been in years. Had too much trouble free motoring with my b6. :D

rear springs and shocks changed, rear wheel bearing changed, EGR valve blanked off and inlet manifold cleaned out...
oil and filter changed. and car fully checked over..
no pictures as ive been on a tight schedule but its all done and the cars ready to be clocking up a fair few miles over the next 2 weeks running back and forth to the hospital

just replaced the front discs and pads and painted the calipers and also replaced the pollen filter

Not a B5 but I'm happy and proud of it, so I'll show you guys as well. :)

Spent the day cleaning our Leon.

Reactions: warren_S5 and Bradderz_1988
Looking lovely that Scotty, wrong badge tho, even if it is vag. Well today I went to the local scrappy and found myself a set of fl tail lights for a tenner well chuffed.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392143102435262

Thanks dude, il take a better pic tomorrow along with my fl front bumpee

Finally pulled my finger out and scanned the ABS module!

1 Fault Found:
00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Front Right (G45)
30-00 - Open or Short to Plus

Fitted cheapey ebay ones when i did the front uprights, i guess ones popped. Will need to get another!

Finally got around to purchasing a replacement auto dimming mirror, and I'm glad I did it works a treat, the original never worked so I didn't know what I was missing out on until now

I re fitted my wmi. And had some fun burning v power. Still lots to do before she is finished. But it's mostly niggles and small amounts of money. But time consuming

I spent Saturday installing a set of ST coilovers in my S4.
Bought them from a UK suppliers last Saturday and they arrived in Australia on Thursday.

Reactions: ScottD3 and Bradderz_1988
Just picked up an auto dimming mirror from my local breakers Cost £5.... Sometimes they have go no idea what they are selling.

3a693a5f-878b-4475-a964-40e64e8abd1d_zps958e6235.jpg

Reactions: Broken Byzan and ScottD3
Did the handbrake cable mod to my S4 calipers as im going to get the ball rolling on this !!

Left modded vs right unmodded

Finished of the calipers then after messing with the handbrake the pistons wouldnt wind back so stripped and give them a thourough clean up and greased all seals and boots up fitted them now they wind back nice and smooth :)

Before :

After:

As you can see the handbrake cable brackets sit alot better to allow less stretch of the cables, just ordered up some custom HEL lines aswell £43.80 posted !!