What have you done today?

I've been to busy to other things for other people.
Plus I forgot. My dad kept texting me about it and I've always forgot.

I always thought the tyres would be boarder line.
I was hoping it was would pass this time so I can get some new wheels over winter. That wont be happening :(

Well, you're not having my s4 wheels :p

18" FTW!!

You sure?

Why are you putting your wife though an MOT, and does she know?

Haha. Her car and it failed.
Rear brakes, bulbs and a caliper.

That's fixed and MOT. Also found our the gear box is on its way along with the clutch. Time to drive it till it dies.

My car now has two new falken ZE912S on the front.

Had mine in for its mot today, it failed!

But all it needed was a track rod end so really can't complain for a 13 year old car with 175k on it!

So it's getting treated to its new track rod end tomorrow along with a service and recaros put in somehow

Reactions: ScottD3
Just put a new set of Michelin Alpin as my old winters only had a couple of mm left, gave it a quick spin this evening and they grip like snot in the wet.

Well I went to fit the track rod end and learned that there are two different types and of course I have the wrong one

So called up the motor factors and told them the problem which they argued I was wrong so I went down with the old and wrong one in hand and argued back

Gave them an s4 number plate and got the right one coming on Monday, but somehow it's twice the price for it?

Never mind, I will go and figure out how I'm fitting the recaros in now, can see a bit of head scratching, grinding and welding coming up :)

Today ive done the following-

my car - o/s/f cv boot as the clip decided to **** off under the car and then out of sight of the rear view mirror lol

crazy88's car - replaced his front brakes to my old 312mm setup and also swapped out his forge split-r valve for a 710n oh and blew some wind in his tyres :)

Hahaha! You're a legend mate, I appreciate that a lot. Was good to meet up too. We should try again sometime and record our cars! The brakes feel great, and more importantly look ace ;)

I had to come off the m62 at Rochdale as my dis said 5 miles left, it took me ages to find a petrol station!

Today i went mental at the shell garage for selling me a jerrycan that didnt work...
seriously, nobody told me there was a funnel in the boot for my mrs 13 reg b max, tried putting fuel in and it went everywhere despite wedging the pipe in the filler neck!
It comes in threes though, later she scraped the same car up against a wall she didnt see, then she fell over her walking sticks getting out to inspect the damage!

Hahaha! You're a legend mate, I appreciate that a lot. Was good to meet up too. We should try again sometime and record our cars! The brakes feel great, and more importantly look ace ;)

I had to come off the m62 at Rochdale as my dis said 5 miles left, it took me ages to find a petrol station!

Not worries pal, was good to meet a fellow TQS owner and have a good chit chat, dont believe the dis you'd have probaly got another 15 miles should of gone down A627 towards oldham and come offfat elk mill retail park theres a petrol station just as you come off and is also a nice stretch of carridgeway to floor it !!

yeah would be good to meet up again maybe when the wethers warmer next year go up rishworth moor way some nice roads up there and a few twisty bends :)

glad your happy with them !!

Had a couple of hours spare today so decided to do the throttle body boot.
Pretty simple job really..... Expect for the stupid one use clip that held a sensor on and took me a good hour and half to sort out.

Really easy to replace though;
Air intake off
Engine cover off
Loosen off bolts holding IC pipes
Remove sensor wires and bolts from the mount
Undo jubilee clips and ease the boot off

That bit took me all of 15mins
The old boot looked in decent shape tbh, no visible splits but can tell it was the original as the one use clip holding the sensor on the top was still there.
Compared the new and old boots. The new boot was a lot smoother and looked better made to be fair.

Long story short, couldn't get a standard jubilee clip to fit on the boot and hold the sensor in as it was too thick/wide. Went to a hydraulic company we use at work and got a clip that used 2 kind of hooks to locks it's self up. Took a while to get it on but works an absolute treat :)

Put it all back together in 15mins, warmed it up and checked how it boosted.
Car felt a lot smoother and didn't seem to kangaroo as much so there might have been a leak in the original one after all.

Next up is the f pipe, I'm not looking forward to that tbh as it looks a bit fiddly

Discovered the probable cause of my boost leak! Picked up a mk4 gold rad pack and intercooler to fix it with :D

To day I finally sorted out a switch for my rear electrics so I can power the Tuner, Media Player and Inverter without having the ignition on.
I've also made USB power cable for Media player so it runs off a USB 12v charger.

Installed cruise control today, got the complete kit from Huntington Audi for £109.
It was a bit nerve racking taking the steering wheel off especially when I got the ESP light, but took it for a spin and it went.

Just need to get it coded now.

I sold a few bits to cover the cost of repairing my car and starting making a list of its spec in case i sell it once done before it breaks again

Not so much today, but over the last week or two

I've finally done the timing belts on my 2.5 saloon.
All the pulleys and dampers too, along with the water pump and thermostat.
Whilst in there I renewed the alternator damper arm bearing and bushes - a bit of a ****** of a job.

Started first turn of the key, and the pump timing was bang on the line! No adjustment needed.

Winter tyres fitted to the Quattro and FWD saloons.

The FWD had it's boot fixed so it now shuts and I fitted the Avant stereo into it.
Still got to sort out keys and central locking.
It also has a random 'Crash switch activated' code that puts on the interior light. I'll have to look into it as and when.

Had the tractor up and running with the snow plough attached ready to go.

It looks like I've got an engine for the Avant (thanks to Adamss24) so now have to start getting things ready for an engine change.

Well i spent the morning messign around with wheels.

Missus took my car to work and i set about swapping the winter tyres onto hers. Unfortunately one of hers has a puncture and i want to get that sorted before it goes on the car, So its now sitting on 3 winter boots and one summer boot. Went round to my local garage but its shut sunday, so will have to drop that in tomorrow morning.

I decided to paint my winter wheels before fitting them, partly because they were painted in a rush last time and were a complete mess, and partly because i want to change the color, unfortunately being somewhat lazy theyre still not painted, so now i'm back in the familiar position of painting them in a rush. I'd started on two of them already, So i finished masking two of them up, and put a couple coats of primer on them, and gave the third one a wash/degrease/sand. Forurth one is in the boot of the car which the missus has at work, so i couldnt sort the fourth one out. I'll hopefully get that last one sorted tomorrow and get them in paint.

Picked up some VAG screenwash from TPS on thursday, so once the reservoirs empty i'll be filling them up with 50:50 scottish winter spec mix.

Washed both the A4 and the Passat inside and out and didn't test the window motor so see if the fault is with the loom or the motor. Spent a fair amount of the afternoon helping number 1 son who was changing the gearbox on his G40. He did really well on such a big job and was replacing the box the car came with, which was a GT box, with short gearing for a proper G40 box which makes the car much more driveable as a daily driver. So all in all a good day.

Spent six hours prepping for tomorrow's engine pull on Blue Thunder. Fluids drained, front panel off, front driveshafts out, exhaust off, wiring loom undone and all pipework disconnected.

Tomorrow morning it will be off with the propshaft, gearbox linkage disconnected, mounts undone, subframe dropped, slave cylinder removed then whip out the big lump!

Reactions: Broken Byzan
Well i put the winter boots on Shed at the weekend, and completed its color-change from "Lairy" to stealth. Paint job doesnt look too bad given the rush and the cold weather, and they're just winter wheels so i'm not that bothered.

Before (Very old pic from last winter):
http://friesian.lr90.org/gallery2/d/2452-2/P1040733.JPG

After:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zw8os80pu6zjpy2/IMG_20131125_153820%20%281%29.jpg

I need to get some black rings for the front and back to ditch the last of the orange. It looks really weird looking at the car without the orange, but i think i'm overall pleased with the change.

The summer wheels were powder coated orange 2 years ago, but they did a **** job and they're all blistering and corroding thru, so i'm going to get them redone in the spring before they go back on. Need to decide on the color, but i'm staying with the "dark grey" theme. I'm hoping to find a dark grey/graphite color which has hints of brown/orange thru it. Maybe BMW Sparking Graphite or Porsche Anthracite Brown or similar. Its a fine line between it looking like a flat grey (too much blue) and looking Gold!

I dont have any centre caps for the winters, and decided both cars looked **** having no caps and big ugly holes, so i went looking for some. Unfortunately the proper ones are £10+ each and rare as they're aluminum rather than plastic. So after some scouring on ebay trying to find something that matched the awkward size of the Bolero caps, but was cheap, i found some Ford caps which seemed to fit the bill so i ordered a set to test. They seem to fit nicely, so i'm going to paint them to match the wheels and hide the ford logo and then stick them on, and i'll get another set ordered for the avant if they turn out well.

Pics of the centre caps fitted ??

mine are all tiger sealed to the springy clip so have to be extra careful when removing/fitting lol

im going for the fiat grigio grey colour for my boleros as im hoping they will become winter wheels in the new year so il get them painted once the summer wheels go on !!

Need to get the rear diff done (been lazy and short of cash atm) and front tyres replaced again as there wearing on the inner edges then im going to get it 'proper' aligned than trying to do it with our supertracker at work it seems to be useless on my car !!

Will get some pics once i paint them, need to get some sand paper tomorrow.

I had the scrubbed insides on my car before i did the arms. Its quite common on cars with worn out contorl arms. they kill the inner edges even though the static alignment appears spot on. My guess is that the loadings on the bushes etc allow the geometry to change when moving, throwing the alignment out.

The grigio grey color you mention is what i mean by "too blue". Its too silvery and has too much blue shades in the color. I want something more reddy/brown.

Vauxhall Anthracite might work too, its got a nice browney/green hue.

All control arms (meyleHD) are not even 12 months old iirc and i checked them on saturday, the only ones that have some movement were both rear control arms but i think thats normal due to braking/accelerating etc, which is the correct bolt hole for the control arms the most inner or outer ??

my tracking does appear to be out when on the motor way its of to the right slightly and if i straighten it up it will pull 3 lanes in a matter of seconds !!

why not get some made upp to your exact spec, i was in halfords the other day and browsing there paints but the lid labels were virtually the same on all the dark grey/blacks but my summer wheels may be gloss black or hyper silver might even get a black/grey with red glitter pearl now youve mentioned the bluey tint lol

And am I correct to assume that bolero caps are different to all others?

Nothing.
Drove 130 miles to Wales to be told the job had been cancelled. Now in Edinburgh a total of 380 miles and done nothing.

Not happy.

But on a good note will be giving the car it's first long drive out on Friday