Ex-intercooler hose?

AudiA4B596

Reaction score
Hey, I had an inter-cooler on my car when I bought it, with also the customs chasing (hence why I got it cheap), so had to take it out and replace with stock, but whilst doing that I had to disconnect this hose from what I think was supposed to be a dump valve, and I have no idea where it should go... can anyone help me out? Someone who used to own this car told me they think its supposed to be connected to the turbo? There is some picture links below, the red is the connection now and the green is the open end that I need to connect to something I believe. The car is an A4 Avant 1.8T 1996. Thanks...

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r554/TheTommy87/DSC_10892.jpg
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r554/TheTommy87/DSC_10882-1.jpg

The hose normally runs across the other way to the factory recirc valve, which is mounted to the turbo intake pipe.

What does it do? Does it have any effect on the engine when its not connected?

So it connects near the turbo, front or back of engine? Is it reachable from the top?

It operates the dump valve, which is there to stop the turbo being damaged when you close the throttle at high boost.

The factory dump valve sits between the air inlet and air outlet pipe on the turbo. Follow the pipe from the air filter, its fairly low down though.

Pic from elsewhere on the forum:

photo24.jpg

the fabric braided hose that runs across the front of the timing belt cover, is the hose you've found above.

You can see it goes to a small cylinder (the dumpvalve) which hangs off the right side of the intake pipe, then has a long hose going down to the outlet pipe.

Thanks Aragorn, I'm going to have a go at finding it and connecting it later tonight, let you know how I get on...

The factory DV is missing (which is unsurprising i guess)

On the last three photos you can see the turbo intake, then a spigot sticking off the side which appears to be blanked off with some metal and a jubilee clip.

The DV should sit in there, and should be piped to another similar spigot on the other turbo pipe that goes down to the metal boost pipe that runs across the front panel.

Ordered the new DV that fits my car, so we'll wait and see what happens, going on holiday now....

Thanks a lot Aragorn! :)