Facelift Tailgate diffrences

s4best4

Reaction score
Hi there

after a slight (large) mishap, i will prob be in the market for an S4 Avant Tailgate and bumper(depending on what the insurance company do...)
My question is, what are the differences between Pre and facelift models, and will a non s4 tailgate be ok??
there's a 2000 one on ebay at the mo and it looks different around the lock panel.
Obviously the bumper is s4 (and facelift) specific.

Many thanks

Iirc the bumper will need PFL side mounting brackets if yours is facelift if yours is PFL then no worries.

With the boot the locks are differant iirc and also the boot trim finisher around the barrel as they have switches instead of a 'pop lock barrel' and heard it can be quite tricky or even impossible to do !!!

Tailgates are specific to pfl/fl only. No difference between an S4 or A4 one bar color.

If it looks different, its probably just a PFL one advertised incorrectly.

The FL has a very flat grab handle, whereas the PFL grab handle is rounded and sticks out more.

Thanks guys. The one i saw on ebay had no handle at all so will give that a swerve. Fairly sure the ins company will write it off, so will be on the lookout for a breaking FL avant as there's nowt wrong with the car apart from that.

surely a FL boot will fit a PFL car and vice versa?

cant believe they changed the contour of anything or the mounting/locking points