Red oil can of doom!

Chriscooke

Clueless!
Reaction score
Website
www.sxoc.com
While driving today I had the red oil can of doom light up on the dash. We have just changed the oil and filter and there were signs of sludge :( When it happened I dipped the clutch and pulled over right away and then limped 1 mile home with out the light on.

After the oil change I also replaced the dipstick top section as the old one was falling apart. I fear some of the plastic may of dropped down the dip stick hole as it fell apart on Removal :( how bad would it be if this was the cause?

Im guessing it's a sump off job with new pick up and oil pump?

Last edited:
I have a mechanic mate who's pretty clued up with these engines so I'll get him to do it I think. Any idea how much a new pump would cost? I'm hoping that as he's in the trade he may get it at cost/trade price.

Check the oil pressure switch. Its on the filter housing the connections may have been disturbed when changing the filter. I got the light on the day after I bought my car and it was just the pressure switch that was leaking

Mine was only on intermittently. So doubt that's the problem but will double check. Was hoping it might of been oil level related but guess the other yellow warning light woul be lit.

Cheers for the tip :)

All fixed. Well fingers crossed anyway :)

The oil pick up was absolutely cacked in crap. Will do another oil change in a few hundred miles if it continues to play ball :)

Cheers :) Can't take the credit myself unfortunately as a mate did it.

We undid all the engine mounts and jacked the engine right up using two trolley jacks. The near side mount needed to be removed completely in order to wiggle the sump out as well.

The rear two bolts on the sump had us stumped for a while also.

I now seem to have a slight oil leak :( we did have two bolts left over so guess they were something important.

These are the bolts in question.

b7d440d0.jpg

I have a hunch they could be from the oil return from the turbo to sump flange. Anyone able to confirm?

they look about right for the turbo oil return, pretty easy to look under and see that pipe though, wouldnt even need to jack the car up...