A4 Turbo Quattro Coilovers - Opinions

• Thread starter imported_VaulterTim
  • Start date
I

imported_VaulterTim

Hi guys,

I'll be in the market for a set of coilovers pretty soon and wanted some opinions on the best (and worst) that are out there.

High on my list at the moment are :-

Bilstein PSS9
Koni
H&R
FK Silverline

I know that FK do the budget AK range (then the Konigsports, then the Silverlines) and have heard that they MAY not be too good but I have also heard that they ARE good. If this is the case then I imagine the Konis will be of similar standard as they have the same dampers... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

So opinions, good or bad, would be welcomed. Alternatives to my list, if I have missed anything obvious, would also be good.

Cheers

Tim

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I looked into this and Bilsteins are the only ones which can be adjusted whilst fitted to the car. (Damping) So in my book they win hands down. Imagine having to remove the shocks on the other ones to adjust the damping.

Cheers

Tim- id search on AZ and AW and read the opinions of people who have each as will be a lot of good info available on all those options. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I may be after a set, but i want the ride quality to remain as near to standard as possible.

i have heard nothing but good things about koni coilovers, i have used the koni adjustable before in a vr6 and they were unbelieveable,
no roll in the corners yet brilliant over bumps n shat , pitty they r so fukin expensive

Markey said... [ QUOTE ]
I may be after a set, but i want the ride quality to remain as near to standard as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

That won't happen with coilvers, they're just not standard suspension at the end of the day so you will have to sacrifice at least a little ride quality.

Curtis said... [ QUOTE ]
i have heard nothing but good things about koni coilovers, i have used the koni adjustable before in a vr6 and they were unbelieveable, no roll in the corners yet brilliant over bumps n shat , pitty they r so fukin expensive.

how low can you go with the fk ak set up -75mm max is it

[/ QUOTE ]

The FK AK's are the very bottom of their line, their budget setup. I'm not sure they intended these to be used for anything serious hence the budget price tag attached to them. After those come the start of the sportsline setups, the Highsport. Then you have the Konigsport, then Silverline Plus, then Silverline Plus X.

Highsports are fixed damping, Konigsports are adjustable Koni dampers. The Silverline Plus and Silverline Plus X are the stainless steel versions of them.

Take a look at their website... FK Automotive

Not sure how low you can go with the AK's, they don't list it on their website, but the rest are listed as being adjustable between either -45 to -65 or -45 to -75 depending on the year.

I don't think the Koni dampers are adjustable on the car though which is why, at the moment, I'm erring toward Bilsteins.

H&R do a set also, which I've not heard anything about but the general quality of their stuff is excellent. They are the only company to date that I have seen that do a Race set of springs for the Quattro. Everyone else does plenty of stuff for the FWD cars but the quattros seem to have to be content with a token gesture! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyway... Billys it is unless something else rears it's head soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers for the comments

Tim

I im willing to sacrifice some of the ride quality, as i have done already with my car and the suspension that i have already.
Is it is just not low enough i need just another 15-20mm to make it look decent.
We could try and get some sort of group buy if there are a few of us wanting to get some.

Best bet for the Bilsteins is to buy from the US and get them shipped as they are about £1200 here and about $1400. They will work out about £800-900 shipped. I have done quite a lot of reseach into this as after i get my engine sorted i think coils are next.

Cheers

Keep me posted Soupie matey.....
I may get mine the same time then.

Tim,

A lot of the S4 guys over on rs246 swear by H&R coilovers. It seems as though everyone there who has got coilover's have got H&R's.
The Stasis kit's sold by (APR) are also well liked but recognised to be expensive. They use Koni shocks.

John