Obd-Wan Kenobi

Iceash

Reaction score
Hi all, thinking about buy a OBD2 Cable, I have no faults but was wondering if there is anything I can unlock and or change lol

What should I be buying?

Thanks,

Ash

For a B5 then I suggest you try the shareware tbh with cheap cable, if you want to use on variety of cars old & new, then the pro hex-can-usb is best option as supports them all, of which I sell.

Tell me more, the Wife has a mk4 6n Polo, which could be cool to connect up :)

Thought 6N was mk3 & 9N was mk4, maybe wrong.

6n is known as mk4 through the forums and most VW garages. But the true hardcore know it's correctly known as a mk3 face lift from memory.

You can change the coding options for warning lights heres the ross tech info on what to do if you decide to

Recode for warning lamps (through 1999 only):

[Select]
[17 - Instruments]
[Recode - 07]
Write down the existing coding for future reference.
Enter 5-digit code from below
[Do It!]

Look at the first two digits in the coding. Add the values for the options together to get the correct coding.

00 - No available equipment
+01 - Brakepad wear sensor warning active
+02 - Seatbelt warning active
+04 - Washer fluid level warning active (may only work with pre-2000 models)
+16 - Navigation System (non-USA models)

Look at the third digit in the coding (Market version):

0 - "Germany" 24 hour clock
1 - "Rest of World" 24 hour clock
2 - "USA" 12 hour clock
3 - "Canada" 12 hour clock

Look at the fourth digit in the coding (Cylinders):

4 - 4-cylinder
6 - 6-cylinder

Look at the fifth digit in the coding (Distance impulse multiplier):

0 - TDI Engine (non-USA models)
2 - Non-turbo Gasoline engine
4 - Turbocharged engine

So, if you want to have Seatbelt warning and washer fluid warning only in a 1999 Canadian A4 2.8, (add 00+02+04 = 06),3,6,2 = 06362.

its handy and useful sometimes and good to have !!

Oh and also locking coding

Recode locking options

[Select]
[35 - Cent. Locks]
[Recode - 07]
Enter the coding below
[Do It!]

Write down the existing coding for future reference.

A4 pre-1998 with Delta radio and anti-theft system
Standard Coding: 03468

A4 pre-1998 with Delta radio, anti-theft system and keyless entry
Standard Coding: 12172

A4 1998+ with Concert/Symphony radio and anti-theft system
Standard Coding: 03340

S4, A4 1998+ with Concert/Symphony radio, anti-theft system and keyless entry
Standard Coding: 16140

Add the following options to your coding number:

+64 Windows up, sunroof close, and windows down with remote.
-04 One touch unlock of all 4 doors and trunk
-1024 Remove horn honk when arming
+32 Auto lock/unlock of doors (Doors lock at 15 mph and unlock when key is removed)

So, if you want to have a 1999 A4 with Concert radio and anti-theft system and keyless entry, and you want to add window control with the remote along with auto-lock, then:
add 03340+64+32= 03436

Theres effectively three levels you can go with these cables.

Basic: £10 ebay lead, free version of VCDS Lite. This will allow you to do the basics of scanning for fault codes and a few other bits, but it will only work on non-canbus cars. Can be a bit tricky to get working due to the way Windows allocates Com ports to the lead.

Basic + Licence: £10 ebay lead plus a $99 licence for VCDS Lite, which unlocks most of the features, but still only works with non-canbus cars. Also pay close attention to the terms of the licence, as its permanently tied to one PC and is not transferable. There is also the benefit that if you choose to upgrade from this level to a genuine cable, Rosstech will give you a credit for $99 you've spent on the licence off the cost of the full kit.

Full Genuine: £250ish for a Genuine lead, which contains the licence built in. Full featured, supported by rosstech, and works on all cars. Can also be sold on in future as the licence is part of the lead/dongle rather than tied to your own computer.

Personally i think that most casual users with a B5 and other older cars will find the Basic option works well enough for what they need it for. Plus, its a very small expense that gets the tool in their hand and they can play with it without having to drop a large sum.

With VCDS Lite what things can you do with it though? change system settings reset service thingy and so forth

Can also be sold on in future as the licence is part of the lead/dongle rather than tied to your own computer.

But the support doesnt follow the cable if its been registered & you have to pay the $99 to get support on a second hand cable.