Chris NottBadger5

Thread: Break fluid

Neutral

Status

Break fluid

Hi i was recently changing front brake flexy pipes and had a bit confused with brake fluid. I know its has to be dot 4 but its green colour and dot 4 is yellow ish... is that some sort of racing brake fluid?! Its 1.8 SE 98.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Buy ATE racing blue. Very good fluid and is not that expensive. I run this fluid in my rs4 so it should be ok to run in your car.

Neutral

Status
    cheers will get that for top up, when i went to few motor factors i was told to put dot 4 and it will be ok?!

2nd Gear

Status
    I would just flush the old stuff out and put fresh ATE in. I dont think mixing brake fluids is a good idea.

Neutral

Status
    neither do i, i think mixing old stuff with new its never a good combination. I dont think u can even mix racing fluid with standart one cause its different grade and boiling point.

2nd Gear

Status
    I would say you are right.

3rd Gear

Status
    I would just buy the Dot 4 stuff as per the handbook and be done with it..
    People get het up about brake fluid boiling, but a few years a ago I had a heavily modified Ford Cortina with 2.8i vented discs and Austin Princess 4 pot calipers on the front (remember THAT conversion!!) and Sierra rear discs and calipers, that I often drove down back roads to the point the discs would glow a dull red. The fluid reservoir would actually smoke and you would burn your hand on the master cylinder. At no point did I feel the effect of boiling fluid (Pedal goes down with no effect, as if full of air). I did however get severe brake fade due to the temps of the vented discs being so high (This is felt as a rock hard pedal with no braking effect). It also causes bent steering wheels as you pull like buggery to try and stop! I used Dot 3 fluid in the car.
    If you are really driving your car to the extent that DOT4 boils, and have discs and pads that will still actually stop you, then I would be VERY impressed.
    1999 A4 B5 1.9 TDi FWD Saloon, Green SOLD
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant, Maroon, 'Panzer' Plated (currently sporting wrecked engine - and gearbox )
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Saloon, Blue, 'Panzer' Plated, Cruise Control retrofitted, OEM 6 Disc Changer retrofitted
    2006 A6 Allroad 3.0 TDi Blue, awaiting stuff to be done!

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    No harm is going for the ATE Blue. I got that in mine when I did my brakes last month.
    Topped up with blue and bleed each calliper till the green/black stuff was gone and a nice bright blue came out.

If you forget about racing and normal for a second, the blue colour is very good for knowing when the old brake fluid is out and the new stuff is in with out having to worry about air bubbles, air locks or any thing.

I've boiled my brake fluid and I drive standard 1.9 TDI.
    That's the other reason for going blue over normal.

New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Seems excessive using ATE blue on a 1.8 SE tbh, though scotts point about the color change for bleeding is a good one, i'm not sure its worth the expense on a stock car.

I've had my car on track and only managed to boil the fluid stood in the paddock due to heat soak. Thats completely stock brakes, road pads, and standard DOT4 from the motorfactors. They performed perfectly fine out on track, though the pads did start to exhibit fade after 5-6 hard laps.

Whatever approach you take, make sure you empty the fluid reservoir before you add the new fluid, as mixing the new stuff and the old stuff will reduce the gains from the new fluid.

Mixing fluid as a top up is no issue at all, they all meet DOT4 specifications for a reason!

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    Seems excessive using ATE blue on a 1.8 SE tbh, though scotts point about the color change for bleeding is a good one, i'm not sure its worth the expense on a stock car.
    That depends on price really.
    I got my ATE Blue cheaper than normal Dot4. :win:

Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    Whatever approach you take, make sure you empty the fluid reservoir before you add the new fluid, as mixing the new stuff and the old stuff will reduce the gains from the new fluid.
    Surly that can produce bubbles with in the system, which is what you want to avoid generally.
    So drain out as much as you can, leaving a little bit in the bottom, then top up and drain.

New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

3rd Gear

Status
    The point I was making is that it is likely that DOT4 fluid will be up to the job in all but the most extreme cases, so do you really need to fork out more on racing stuff. Obviously if you have special 'ScottB5' fluid providers, then get the higher spec as it's the right price! (As I do with my silicone grease)

Note the higher DOT fluids are also more hygroscopic, so need changing more often. (IIRC)

The OP says his fluid is green, so he should be able to tell when the new, wee-coloured DOT4 comes through.
    You shouldn't get bubbles as long as you don't operate the pedal whilst the reservoir is empty. It's the same when you change the reservoir after blowing it up with EeziBleed.

Which brings on the next point:- Beware when using EeziBleed, there's a thread floating about where most of us seem to have blown up the reservoir at some point due to using more than about 10 psi when bleeding the system. I have used it successfully since - keeping the pressure down!
    1999 A4 B5 1.9 TDi FWD Saloon, Green SOLD
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant, Maroon, 'Panzer' Plated (currently sporting wrecked engine - and gearbox )
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Saloon, Blue, 'Panzer' Plated, Cruise Control retrofitted, OEM 6 Disc Changer retrofitted
    2006 A6 Allroad 3.0 TDi Blue, awaiting stuff to be done!

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    ATE super blue is a doddle when bleeding just drain the old out the resivour fill it with blue then when you get a dark blue lock off the nipples jobs a good un lol

Also its interval for changing is every 4 years instead of 2 !!!
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

5th Gear

Status
    really?

ive never had brake boil on the road, and ive had some quick cars, very tuned r5gtt, a quick little starlet, a s13, and now a a4 1.8tqs, i brake hard and never experince those effects,

on track how ever is a diffrent ball game, heat soak and prolonged use (compression of brake fluid) of the brakes boild the brakes as stated above. but for a stock 1.8se theres literly no point bothering,
    end off no arguments to be had on this one,
    on the other hand if it was a 1.8t with a 28r or say a gt30r then yes id be looking for more then dot 4, being dot 5.1 but even then were only talking 40°C more in dry boing points 230°C vs 270°C

but then if your going on track then you would sort brake cooling, go to the lengths of testing the water volume in the brake fluid and then also spend much more on bigger brakes,
    all of which isnt needed on a slow 1.8se

Neutral

Status
    Im gona do brake fluid change tomorrow and decided to go with dot4 regular brake fluid cause theres no need to for me to have racing fluid cause i dont use my car on the track and its only 1.8se and price wise its extra 10 quid per liter on racing fluid.