Calling all 30v 2.8 V6 owners

• Thread starter imported_christhick
  • Start date
I

imported_christhick

Have any of you guys ever had your engines flood and refuse to restart. This has happened to me 4 or 5 times now.

The solution is to take the fuel pump fuse out and turn the engine over a few times before putting the fuse back in. Apparently there is a fuel reservoir that fills up and acts as a sort of choke. However, this and the fuel pump acting together can flood the engine.

Does anyone know how to stop the problem or if it’s a common fault with this engine?

Never had it on mine in 6 years, sure you're not giving it some throttle when starting?

That may have happened inadvertently a couple of times but not all the time.

I know that the Jag XKS V8's can suffer the same problem by running to rich and refusing to restart but I would have thought that Audi would safeguard against over fuelling the engine, especially with it being a DBW throttle.

Chances are it's just a sensor giving a duff reading, does it only do it from cold or is it the same when hot?

Ok, I had a similar problem but found the problem was the temperature sensor was up the duff and working intermittently. First it started now and then and then got worse and worse.

Car would not start then when it did the car stank and lot of black smoke plus the smell of fuel (This was before the SC went on)

It was an easy fix about £30 for a new sensor and rubber seal. Sits on the air box side just at the back. Bit fiddly to do but never had a problem since.

My Dads one did that and it was the coolant temp sensor that was faulty. It thinks the engines cold when its not and gives more fuel which causes it to flood and not restart.

mine has been okay so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My Dads one did that and it was the coolant temp sensor that was faulty. It thinks the engines cold when its not and gives more fuel which causes it to flood and not restart.

[/ QUOTE ]

ooops I meant coolant sensor.

Pefect. Thanks for the advice lads, this is what I ment when I said the this site could be worth £10,000's to us all in my post on the "site comments & feedback" forum.

I'll replace the coolant sensor and see what happens next.

PS.

The A6 forum tell me to change the fuel regulator thats usually located on the fuel rail somewhere...looks small and cylindrical...

Could this also be the problem?

Anything is pos; most of us work by symptoms and throw up ideas from there. As you can imagine trying to diagnose a fault on a forum is a little hard but we get there in the end 8/10 times.

I understand where you're coming from Docurley but the symptoms are difficult to describe in any more detail than it floods. I'm fairly sure that if it had happened to anyone one else they'd know exactly what I'm talking about.

However, replace both items has to be cheaper than going to a garage for a diagnoses!!

Agreed with part two, and yes we can look at your symptoms and guess it might be what we have heard about before or experienced and pass that info for a fix on. But several things could cause flooding as a couple of options of fixes have come up for your problem.

I'm going to replace the coolant temp sensor tonight which will cost me £26 if all goes right. Other wise the fuel pressure regulator costs £54 and I don't like the idea of having to replace that too.

Docurley, you couldn't help me a little more by describing in anymore detail where the coolant temp sensor is.

I'm looking on the airbox side of the engine bay but can't see it. Is it covered by a rubber casing or should it be easy to see.

Just knowing whether it sits vertically or horizontally and if its attached to the engine block or sit hidden away somewhere else will help.

In this heat I don't fancy pulling my car apart and getting myself wound up!

Cheers mate