What's leaking now...2.5tdi Quattro?

mixmaster

Reaction score
I noticed at the last oil change that I have a slight leak which looks like it's coming from between the engine and gearbox.

I get a little patch under the car.

What's it likely to be and is it an easy fix? I don't seem to be using any oil.

Thanks in advance.

If its engine oil and coming from defo inside the bell housing on box will more then likely be the rear main oil seal. If its gear oil will be input shaft seal

Rear main will mean gearbox off and flywheel to replace seal

Input shaft seal means gearbox off and not sure if the input shaft seal it a bolt on nose cone type or an internal seal worst case is box will need opening up to sort it

Check that it's not hydraulic oil from the PAS

^^ as above all 3 could be your problem or even rocker cover gasket leaking down the rear and into the bell housing !

what color is the oil?

I'd expect engine oil on a TDI to be jet black, gear oil will be golden brown/reddy colored.

I'm not losing engine oil but have noticed a drop in power-steering fluid so leaning towards this.

However, why would that leak from round that area? What for and where should I be looking...

PAS fluid usually leaks from the fittings on the cooler, or from the gaiters on the end of the rack.

not sure how it would get inside the bellhousing though...

PAS fluid usually leaks from the fittings on the cooler, or from the gaiters on the end of the rack.

not sure how it would get inside the bellhousing though...

It might not be coming from inside the bell housing, just gathering around it then dripping from it.

Stick your finger in one of the holes and see?

My whole bellhousing was soaked in oil. Was pools of gear oil in the crevasses inside the housing.