The joys of owning an S4

marty.h

Reaction score
I have to say in all my years of owning cars this has to be the worst car ever for having hissy fits and putting the ESP light on and to be honest its wearing a bit thin im tempted to take it to my mates yard rip the guts out sell them of a cube it lol

here is the latest code

18038 P1630
Accelerate.Pedal Pos.Sensor 1 Signal too Low

I will have the ECU out tomorrow look under at looms and check no water has gotten in there AGAIN and go from there

Well it has annoyed me that much had to get out there tonight and surprise surprise was down to the connection under the ECU again. Tomorrow ill clean all pins again and cover in contact grease. I will remove the ECU housing and re-seal it to the bulk head then ill decide what I'm going to do with it.

All the faults I have had so far have been down to poor design and makes me think what else have they not got right and is waiting to bite me.

The only water related issue on these cars thats common, is if the drains in the bottom of the scuttle area (under the battery and servo) get clogged up, usually with leaves and silt.

I'd suggest you check these.

That had water in it when I got it and I removed the bungs totally.

One question I do have is the car had a new windowsceen before I got it and normally a car has a rubber that runs on the trim that goes over the scuttle the one you have to remove wipers to get of I have noticed this one appears not to have one is that normal ?

Yeh it doesnt have one, the screen is simply bonded into place.

It could be a crap job fitting the screen allowing water in?

Its coming in under the ECU box in the bulk head so will have that out again and use a thicker sealer on it just got to try and find something to clean the green pins up in the plug or it may be a case of cutting both plugs of and terminating with new plugs but looks like its a dash out job to me to do it

I'm going to remove that box tonight and will be using sikoflex to seal under it should not be able to get in then

Well that's all done gave all the pins a good scrub with a brass wire brush they are now like new.
As advised by vehicle electricians at work I soaked the female plugs in vinegar for half hour and gave all the plugs a good clean out with brake cleaner followed by contact cleaner after they came up as new and then a coat on all plugs forcing it into the holes and a good layer on the male sockets of Dow Corning DC4 electrical compound basically a silicone grease that's the plugs sorted.

The ECU housing has been sealed with sikoflex no water will be getting in there again now hopefully that problem will not pop its head up again.

Road test time !