Audi AEB head gasket replacement

Lee Goodall

Reaction score
Unfortunately the head gasket on my AEB appears to have let go so I am planning to replace it over the next couple of weeks.

What parts are essential to replace with new?

Does anybody have any hints or tips to help with the job?

Any other relevant information would be greatly received.

Thanks in advance for all useful replies.

if you get yourself a gasket set from Jason at All German parts it has everything you need bar the head bolts.

I'd also suggest you take your head to a machine shop and have it lightly skimmed to ensure its flat.

Is it definately gone? Had symptoms of HG failure and it turned out to be the oil cooler (modene) that had gone.

Yeah I'm fairly certain.

I've fitted a new oil cooler, refreshed the oil and coolant but after running for a few hours I still had intermittent steam from the exhaust, oil in the coolant and coolant in the oil again.

Mine always seems to steam a bit from the exhaust but doesn't seem to lose water. When my oil cooler failed it did take a while to shift all the crap.

Hope you sort it mate, nothing worse than a sick car.

Toothed Belt (Timing Belt)
Tensioning Roller (Timing Belt Tensioner)
Belt Tensioning Damper
relay Roller (Timing Belt Roller)
Thermostat
Water Pump metal impeller style one w/ Sealing Washer
Ribbed V-Belt (Serpentine Belt A/C)
G12 Coolant (1 Gallon)

then of course have the head skimmed. around £30/40

Yeh thats a fair point, might as well do the timing belt when its apart. Waterpump and stat is fairly accessible, so i'd only do that if its old, if its been changed recently i'd leave it alone.

Jason will sort you out with a belt kit too, IIRC its CT919K4 that has all the bits.

personally i would do it as course of action, and your stat or water pump could have caused the head gasket faluire

if it were me id rather pay for the parts while im at it. rather then replace the gasket, and then some thing fail. and you should be changing the belt any way on a gasket replacement

Yeh thats a fair point, but it really depends on the cars history and what symptoms were prevalent.

If the HG went because its overheated, then sure it makes sense to check/replace the cooling system components.

If however the water pump, thermostat and coolant were changed a year ago, and the system showed no signs of any temperature related issues, i'd be leaving them alone. I'd even reuse the coolant in that case, and infact have changed the thermostat on my saloon once and the avant about 4 times, each time reusing the coolant that was in there because it was already fairly new, and i refuse to pour 20quids worth of perfectly servicable G12 down the drain.

This is all fairly specific to the 058 family of engines ofcourse, becuase the water pump is external and the stat is a 10 minute job from underneath. Some engines (such has the 06A series 1.8T's) have the waterpump driven off the timing belt, and i'd agree for those that changing the water pump is probably a wise move.

However even then, if i'd put a timing belt kit on the car 6 months ago, along with a new water pump etc, and now the HG had failed, i'd probably just reuse everything, because its all new anyway.

Mine always seems to steam a bit from the exhaust but doesn't seem to lose water. When my oil cooler failed it did take a while to shift all the crap.

Hope you sort it mate, nothing worse than a sick car.

Cheers mate. I am gutted as I was hoping to have it tuned ready for Inters this year but there's no chance now :(

Toothed Belt (Timing Belt)
Tensioning Roller (Timing Belt Tensioner)
Belt Tensioning Damper
relay Roller (Timing Belt Roller)
Thermostat
Water Pump metal impeller style one w/ Sealing Washer
Ribbed V-Belt (Serpentine Belt A/C)
G12 Coolant (1 Gallon)

then of course have the head skimmed. around £30/40

Yeah, my plan is to do everything on your list excluding the water pump and thermostat as there has been no sign of overheating and they aren't particularly old either. As Aragorn says they are easily accessible from under the car so can just as easily be replaced at a later date.

Cheers mate.

head gaskets rarely "just go"
what happened?

find that first.

as a matter of course decoke everything you can now get at since you are pulling the head.
IMO you can get the headskimmed if you want but it more often than not won't need it. helps bump the CR a bit which can be nice sometimes, but if you are on a budget spend the money on a decent gasket set. Reinz MLS etc

head gaskets rarely "just go"
what happened?

find that first.

as a matter of course decoke everything you can now get at since you are pulling the head.
IMO you can get the headskimmed if you want but it more often than not won't need it. helps bump the CR a bit which can be nice sometimes, but if you are on a budget spend the money on a decent gasket set. Reinz MLS etc

I don't know what happened to be honest. I have been driving with the Garrett turbo installed but with the N75 disconnected so at very low boost. I've not really experienced any running issues although I am getting a slight misfire now as I'd expect.

Noted what you're saying about keeping costs down as money is tight at the moment.

Cheers mate.

i had to buy a 10 (i think) ribe tool (i think its called that) when i did my headgasket. fyi im running with t28 on standard management at 1 bar of boost and done lots of miles hard and fast and all is fine :D

Does anybody have the Audi part numbers to hand for the head gasket and head bolts for an AEB engine?

i do, but i'm not telling you them because paying audi prices for those parts is retarded :p

Get on the blower to Jason at All German Parts.

Are you sponsored by All German Parts by any chance or related maybe? ;)

What price difference are we talking about? I have a new Audi dealership/garage a minute away from my house so it's convenient.

Not sponsored by lol, i just find them half decent on price and service. You can goto GSF or Euros if you fancy for similar savings over main dealer pricing.

Bolts are about 50quid for the set from the dealer, vs 20ish from AGP, gasket alone from audi is nearly 50quid which is mental and more than a complete head set from AGP.