First Upgrade for Audi 1.8T

K212

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

It's my first post, and I just bought my Audi A4 1.8T quattro 2 days ago...

I was wondering what is the first upgrade that would be most worthwhile for the price..performance that is...and where could i go to check prices and info???

How's GIAC treating you??? I have found numerous chip upgrades...you think its ok to just get a chip upgrade without gettin an air filter or an exhaust?

BTW are there any blow off valves for the 1.8T ?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I had mine chipped by Upsolute. You can change the Diverter Valve for a Hyperboost/Forge or similar but these are not "Dump Valves" (the ones that make the noise) as these are not recommended on a 1.8T.

[ QUOTE ]
K212 said:
How's GIAC treating you??? I have found numerous chip upgrades...you think its ok to just get a chip upgrade without gettin an air filter or an exhaust?

BTW are there any blow off valves for the 1.8T ?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A chip is the most worthwhile upgrade... Most BHP for $$$ by far. Unless you are getting a custom remap, then it doesnt really matter if you get an exhaust system before of after. I have custom remap on my A3 1.8T, and it is an enormous difference to stock. Since then, i have done a custom CAI, whcih works quite well... Fitted a stainless Gauze conefilter in the standard airbox.

For chips, also check out APR (www.goapr.com)... They are quite good.

Also about the BOV. The 1.8T doens't respond well to BOV's, as the ECU calculates the fuel by the amount of air being taken into the engine... The air flow meter, is before the DV, so the ecu has a set value for the air that is chucked back in the flow. If the air is vented to the atmosphere, the ECU will still be calculating for the DV air therfore running rich. I have got a Stratmosphere hyperboost DV on my A3 which works well, and because of the conefilter, you can hear a bit of a whoosh from it.

Good Luck, and welcome to AS.NET!

Rich! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Rich

Wow UpSolute has some very nice prices..man so many to choose from, can't decide...CANT DECIDE!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

GIAC makes very good code for the 1.8T as for an air filter you're unlikely to gain anything so you don't need it for a chip upgrade. Yes there are but you have to watch yourself here, I am using the GFB Hybrid valve. I wouldn't recommend a full bov for our cars.

GIAC Chip

THANKS ALL !!! I'll keep you guys posted on what happens next... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif