Help me to identify the fob's part number (+ some SKS/PIN questions) - A4 1999 2.4

timurso

Reaction score
Website
www.ozuns.com
Hi guys, newbie here :)

I just bought an 1999 A4 2.4 and it only had one key (which looks very worn too), so I decided to get a new key and code it myself (with VAG Commander to retrieve the SKS, then VAG-COM to program a new key with it).
The current problem is to identify the part number for the key (so I can order a correct one)- maybe somebody can help me with that (see the picture below)?
I heard that in 1999 there were two types of keys- is that right? I haven't yet disassembled the fob, maybe the part number is written somewhere inside? Maybe there is a way to find it using VIN?

Also, if anybody knows, which one should go with- VAG Tacho or VAG Commander to retrieve SKS/PIN? There is some confusion around the compatibility of these two cables & software. Maybe there is somebody working in East London who already has all the cables & software and could retrieve my SKS/PIN for me (for some 10-15 quid)? :)

And the last question, does anybody know a reputable seller (on eBay?) from who I could order the new key/fob?

Cheers,
Tim

20120528082051.jpg

depends if you want a complete new fob or not.

My key was in a similar state and i just ordered a new "front" part, retaining the original remote. Fronts are on ebay for pence.

If you want a new remote, then pull the key apart (it splits along the line you can see) and the remote will have a part number on it.

I used VagTacho and it worked just fine.

I used VAG Tacho to do mine, once to program a new key, and once to program a key to second hand dash. It was quite straight forward. VAG Tacho also allowed me to reset the milage on the replacement dash to the old milage.

I got my key cut here Spare Car Keys | Replacement Car Keys | Transponder Keys | Lost Keys, and got the electronics for the remote fob from a scrappy.

Thanks a lot guys!
I am about to buy a key now and I'm torn between two options- to buy a key with a used transponder or with a new one (price difference is about 20 quid)? Will I be able to reprogram the used transponder or will I need to replace it with a new one? Is CRYPTO 48 the one?

Cheers,
Tim

So I bought a used key from here and a new virgin transponder chip from here.
Once I receive them, will post a quick guide for reprogramming keys (and changing the transponder), so nobody will need to feed the dealers or locksmiths (they told me that a new key would cost about £160). Total costs (if everything works out) will be about £55 (£15 key, £7 transponder, £11 vag tacho cable from china, £7 vag com cable, ~£10-15 key cutting) + all the cables will still be usable after you do the job :)