Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
    Reverse Gear

Status

Question Help me to identify the fob's part number (+ some SKS/PIN questions) - A4 1999 2.4

Hi guys, newbie here

I just bought an 1999 A4 2.4 and it only had one key (which looks very worn too), so I decided to get a new key and code it myself (with VAG Commander to retrieve the SKS, then VAG-COM to program a new key with it).
    The current problem is to identify the part number for the key (so I can order a correct one)- maybe somebody can help me with that (see the picture below)?
    I heard that in 1999 there were two types of keys- is that right? I haven't yet disassembled the fob, maybe the part number is written somewhere inside? Maybe there is a way to find it using VIN?

Also, if anybody knows, which one should go with- VAG Tacho or VAG Commander to retrieve SKS/PIN? There is some confusion around the compatibility of these two cables & software. Maybe there is somebody working in East London who already has all the cables & software and could retrieve my SKS/PIN for me (for some 10-15 quid)?

And the last question, does anybody know a reputable seller (on eBay?) from who I could order the new key/fob?

Cheers,
    Tim

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    depends if you want a complete new fob or not.

My key was in a similar state and i just ordered a new "front" part, retaining the original remote. Fronts are on ebay for pence.

If you want a new remote, then pull the key apart (it splits along the line you can see) and the remote will have a part number on it.

I used VagTacho and it worked just fine.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

3rd Gear

Status
    I used VAG Tacho to do mine, once to program a new key, and once to program a key to second hand dash. It was quite straight forward. VAG Tacho also allowed me to reset the milage on the replacement dash to the old milage.

I got my key cut here Spare Car Keys | Replacement Car Keys | Transponder Keys | Lost Keys, and got the electronics for the remote fob from a scrappy.
    1999 A4 B5 1.9 TDi FWD Saloon, Green
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant, Maroon, 'Panzer' Plated (currently sporting wrecked engine)
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Saloon, Blue, 'Panzer' Plated, Cruise Control retrofitted, OEM 6 Disc Changer retrofitted

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks a lot guys!
    I am about to buy a key now and I'm torn between two options- to buy a key with a used transponder or with a new one (price difference is about 20 quid)? Will I be able to reprogram the used transponder or will I need to replace it with a new one? Is CRYPTO 48 the one?

Cheers,
    Tim

Reverse Gear

Status
    So I bought a used key from here and a new virgin transponder chip from here.
    Once I receive them, will post a quick guide for reprogramming keys (and changing the transponder), so nobody will need to feed the dealers or locksmiths (they told me that a new key would cost about £160). Total costs (if everything works out) will be about £55 (£15 key, £7 transponder, £11 vag tacho cable from china, £7 vag com cable, ~£10-15 key cutting) + all the cables will still be usable after you do the job