JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
    Reverse Gear

Status

Question Help me to identify the fob's part number (+ some SKS/PIN questions) - A4 1999 2.4

Hi guys, newbie here

I just bought an 1999 A4 2.4 and it only had one key (which looks very worn too), so I decided to get a new key and code it myself (with VAG Commander to retrieve the SKS, then VAG-COM to program a new key with it).
    The current problem is to identify the part number for the key (so I can order a correct one)- maybe somebody can help me with that (see the picture below)?
    I heard that in 1999 there were two types of keys- is that right? I haven't yet disassembled the fob, maybe the part number is written somewhere inside? Maybe there is a way to find it using VIN?

Also, if anybody knows, which one should go with- VAG Tacho or VAG Commander to retrieve SKS/PIN? There is some confusion around the compatibility of these two cables & software. Maybe there is somebody working in East London who already has all the cables & software and could retrieve my SKS/PIN for me (for some 10-15 quid)?

And the last question, does anybody know a reputable seller (on eBay?) from who I could order the new key/fob?

Cheers,
    Tim

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    depends if you want a complete new fob or not.

My key was in a similar state and i just ordered a new "front" part, retaining the original remote. Fronts are on ebay for pence.

If you want a new remote, then pull the key apart (it splits along the line you can see) and the remote will have a part number on it.

I used VagTacho and it worked just fine.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

3rd Gear

Status
    I used VAG Tacho to do mine, once to program a new key, and once to program a key to second hand dash. It was quite straight forward. VAG Tacho also allowed me to reset the milage on the replacement dash to the old milage.

I got my key cut here Spare Car Keys | Replacement Car Keys | Transponder Keys | Lost Keys, and got the electronics for the remote fob from a scrappy.
    1999 A4 B5 1.9 TDi FWD Saloon, Green SOLD
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant, Maroon, 'Panzer' Plated (currently sporting wrecked engine - and gearbox )
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Saloon, Blue, 'Panzer' Plated, Cruise Control retrofitted, OEM 6 Disc Changer retrofitted
    2006 A6 Allroad 3.0 TDi Blue, awaiting stuff to be done!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks a lot guys!
    I am about to buy a key now and I'm torn between two options- to buy a key with a used transponder or with a new one (price difference is about 20 quid)? Will I be able to reprogram the used transponder or will I need to replace it with a new one? Is CRYPTO 48 the one?

Cheers,
    Tim

Reverse Gear

Status
    So I bought a used key from here and a new virgin transponder chip from here.
    Once I receive them, will post a quick guide for reprogramming keys (and changing the transponder), so nobody will need to feed the dealers or locksmiths (they told me that a new key would cost about £160). Total costs (if everything works out) will be about £55 (£15 key, £7 transponder, £11 vag tacho cable from china, £7 vag com cable, ~£10-15 key cutting) + all the cables will still be usable after you do the job