New annual charge to be levied on motorists

I

imported_Yaseen

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1650760,00.html

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif Its getting out of control!!!

Drivers face new charges to switch to photo licences
Dipesh Gadher, Transport Correspondent

MOTORISTS face paying a new charge of about £2.50 a year to help fund the cost of phasing out paper driving licences and replacing them with European-style photocard documents, under proposals being considered by ministers.
The planned “annual registration fee” will generate more than £80m for the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and could come into force by 2007.

Alongside the new fee, the 21m motorists in Britain who already have a photocard licence are likely to be charged £19 or more to renew their documents every 10 years.

The first of these will come up for renewal in two years’ time. Drivers with a paper licence — numbering almost 20m — may also be forced to pay a fee to switch to a photocard.

Paper licences will become obsolete by 2010 under European Union rules and legislation is currently going through parliament to grant the DVLA powers to order a mass recall of the documents.

“With discussions under way about a national road pricing scheme and with the London congestion charge increasing from £5 to £8 next month, it does begin to gall a bit on motorists when they see these extra taxes creeping in,” said Edmund King, executive director of the RAC Foundation.

The proposals follow a DVLA consultation last year on driving licence and vehicle registration fees. The agency believes it needs to generate an additional £75m-£95m each year to cover the cost of reforms.

It had originally sought to make photocard renewals and transfers of paper licences free and favoured a new annual registration fee of £4.50 instead. This would have applied to all vehicles — even if they were not on the road.

However, it is understood that the DVLA was forced into a rethink following objections by motoring groups during the consultation period. It is now likely that classic car owners, many of whom are exempt from paying road tax, and disabled drivers will not have to pay an annual registration fee.

Plans to make driving licences free for those under 21, are also likely to be dropped. However, the cost of a new licence could fall from £38 to £30. Having a licence reissued because of a change of name or address will remain free.

The one-off fee paid by motorists to register a new car and gain a V5 document naming them as the registered keeper may also be reduced, possibly from £38 to £28.

"Scrap all this and add 0.5p - 1.0p to a litre of fuel

Simple, if you drive you pay"

Nope mate im with u , i think its a great idea , it solves the problem of road tax cheats overnight , its one less thing for the police to try catch!

Adding it to Petrol will never happen it makes too much sense. Imagine all the money they would save not having to administer road tax - much better to get everyone to fit satellite trackers to their cars so they can charge per mile.....

Greg

In France they dont have road tax, it is added onto fuel!!!

[ QUOTE ]
At the risk of getting crucified, can I propose a radical proposal for road tax and the road pricing schemes and even provision of driving licenses and environmental issues

It has never ceased to amaze me why someone has not sat down and thought this out

Road tax - can be dodged, leaving legal motorists /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif off, think of the money spent collecting and enforcing

Road pricing schemes - massive investment in technology which we motorist will pay for and again probably can be dodged and think of the money spent collecting and enforcing

Scrap all this and add 0.5p - 1.0p to a litre of fuel

Simple, if you drive you pay

The more you drive and pollute and damage the road the more you contribute

Granny doing 2000 miles a year does not have a fixed charge no matter what mileage she does

Anyone see any problems with this idea

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree wtih some of the things you say... as long as the fee's they intend on charging us for travel is fair.

They are going to impliment (Well I hope not) this pay per mile thing... if it was fair, I wouldnt mind, but some of the figures they are throwing around are crazy! Yeah great no road tax, great, cheaper fuel(Although probably not as cheap as it SHOULD be under the new scheme) - adn then they rince us. Further to that there will still be illegal motorists out there that will not pay this!!

They are just trying to screw the motorist for every penny we earn!! We are a rich nation - no need for kak like this.

once they fit these tracker things to our vehicles for the charing per mile, how long till speeding is automatically linked... speed around corners checked... not stopping at stop streets etc etc... BIRBRUVA! GRRR!

*Phew* - right stem let out, pint anyone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I dis-agree

The motorists pay far too much.

Vat when buy the car
vat on repairs
petrol
road tax
driving tests/lessons
ridiculous parking and speeding setups in many areas.
and so on

They make silly money out of us already and imo why give them a penny more.

Imo- the goverment should stop wasting money on stupid projects and streamline their budgets. All the government employee I know tell me what an easy life they have!!. Bet they aren`t even 80% efficient.

Besides Labour nicked all the lottery money so thats millions more in the coffers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif