Sky InsuranceChris Nott
    VW + Audi mad

Status

A4 shocks /springs advice...........

I changed the rear subframe bushes the other day and noticed that one of the rear shock absorbers has been leaking oil badly.
    The thing is, all of the shock absorbers on the car pass the bounce test as per the MOT examination but I have to say the whole car feels wobbly over poor surfaces these days , no clonks or anything from arms etc just a feeling of instability.....
    The car has now done 213k and the shocks/springs are the factory originals, so really think I should invest in 4 new shocks at least.
    Question is should I renew the springs also?
    Don't want to lower the car at all so don't know if I should keep the old springs (which admittedly look very rusty and crusty) with new shock absorbers or fit new shocks and stock-length springs?

Thanks.
    '99 Ming Blue A4 Avant TDi SE 110 + Dragon Performance Tuning Box
    Factory sunroof / Cruise / Aircon + Climate / Royale Blue leather

'72 1302LS Karmann Beetle Cabrio Silbermetallic

'63 Karmann Ghia Sunroof Coupe Pacific Blue

2. # ADS
    ADS

VW + Audi mad

Status
    Anyone?

3rd Gear

Status
    I'm going through similar here, More Spring/Damper Questions! - although my requirements are a bit different.

To be honest, I'm going down the route of 'I've spent so much time and money replacing everything else, I may as well finish the job!"

I would suggest a set of Bilsteins with the Lesjofors springs and be done with it. B4s and B6s are suitable for stock springs. There are other makes, but I didn't look into them

Stock springs from Audi were £70-£80 each, which is what I'm getting - for a specific reason. The stock dampers were basically unavailable for mine. You might need PR codes to aid in which combination you need, or Audi will sort you via your registration.
    1999 A4 B5 1.9 TDi FWD Saloon, Green SOLD
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant, Maroon, 'Panzer' Plated (currently sporting wrecked engine - and gearbox )
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Saloon, Blue, 'Panzer' Plated, Cruise Control retrofitted, OEM 6 Disc Changer retrofitted
    2006 A6 Allroad 3.0 TDi Blue, awaiting stuff to be done!

3rd Gear

Status
    Just to add,

Check your PR codes, 1BA is stock suspension, 1BE is Sports suspension, which is 20mm lowered.

At the risk of sounding like the very people who annoy me, Bilstein B6 and Eibach Pro springs seem a very popular combo. This will lower a Sports set-up by only 15mm, which may be acceptable to you.
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant, Maroon, 'Panzer' Plated (currently sporting wrecked engine - and gearbox )
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Saloon, Blue, 'Panzer' Plated, Cruise Control retrofitted, OEM 6 Disc Changer retrofitted

VW + Audi mad

Status
    Thanks for the info!
    I did see the thread and read it with interest this morning!
    I know for certain it has standard non-Sports suspension and that is why I'm in this dilemma.
    Have owned the car for 6 years now and have always fitted Genuine/OEM or top-quality parts only to it.
    The plan is to change it in the next year or two so don't really want to fork out heaps for suspension that will probably outlast the car!
    Having said that a cheapo suspension kit off Ebay will probably lower it a bit (if I go for all new springs and shocks that is) but who knows how long it will last?
    A set of Sachs shock absorbers from the likes of ECP will cost circa £200, Bilsteins I think a bit more, obviously springs would be extra.
    If springs don't wear out (I really have no idea if they do or don't) I'd be tempted to just fit 4 decent shocks and be done.
    The car feels as if it is the automotive equivalent of the Queen Mary 2 these days which is why I'm driving it so gently with the net result being absolutely fantastic fuel economy,lol.............

3rd Gear

Status
    Springs can get 'tired', which means they don't have the same characteristics as when new.
    If you can afford it, I would suggest replacing them, especially if you have replaced other bits. The dampers are the expensive bit. If you have a non-quattro, they are easier to get than a Quattro.
    I'm sure I saw Munroe springs were silly cheap and their dampers weren't too bad. I think Lesjofers were about £10ish cheaper than Audi, although I can't remember where I found a price!

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Its worth checking ebay.

I picked up a pair of brand new genuine Auid FWD A4 dampers for my parents A4 on there for about 30quid.

If its just a standard car that your not too fussed about, then i'd just pop into your local motorfactors and buy whatever dampers they stock.

If your buying springs, bear in mind that any aftermarket parts will be non-Sport tractor spec parts.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    Its worth checking ebay.

If your buying springs, bear in mind that any aftermarket parts will be non-Sport tractor spec parts.
    Some of us might like tractor springs

VW + Audi mad

Status
    Thanks gents, think will probably go for springs too.................
    Even though I don't want to spend too much on it I've never skimped on buying decent parts for it before so will probably end up the German route, Ebay here we come......