vagcom/tacho and getting in to the ecu. as i cant?

boost-addict

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Reaction score
Website
t.me
ok so looking to get vagcom/tacho because firstly my abs light is on and says theres a fault in the abs system. had it on a reader from a garage were a mate works. he tried accessing the ecu via normal route and then directly via the abs system, both reporting "no systems found" now will vcds get in? any one heard of an ecu blocking out a reader? some one at audi said it could be chipped and a reader wont bring anything up due to it being chipped

also need to change my clocks as you cant read the lower half. and didnt realise the clocks have to be recoded till i installed the new one! so swapped all back over and discover i need vag-tacho. im in to it and mechanical things so will v.tacho be simple enough to use, as i also need to change the new clocks from 127k to my olds clocks of 150k.

so

1. will vcds access a ecu that refuses to be read by a diagnostic reader

2. is vagcom/tacho easy enough to use one learnt

3. are these the right tools for the job
vagcom
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

vag tacho
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

The vagtacho cable is a copy and the vcds too. VCDS lite doesn`t do scans of individual modules.

both fakes good luck with them

ok, so were best to get one with out it being hundreds of pounds.

i may well get it scanned down at apr. but thinking if i can get vagcom cables and then buy full version, think its $99 then should be good to go. but if these fake ones or copies wont do the job is there any cables on ebay or other wise that i can get.

also while were on the point. is there any reason why the ecu port wont communicate with a diagnostic reader?

have a abs light up. but the abs osr was replaced, looking though the paper work its had every corner replaced in the last 5 years so thinking get 4 new sensors, can a faulty abs unit make the abs light come up?
also as i have a aftermarket unit does the k/data line need to be looped to a certain wire, grounded or to a switched live?

i got an £8 cable, worked fine with vcds lite

ive now upgraded to a usb-hex-can one and its and investment as they sell for £££ on ebay so you will never loose out!

yer thats fair enough but i dont need the cable so much i want to spend £300+ on a cable and software

so you saying i cant use a copy vagcom cable with full vagcom software?

£8 cable and the free version of the software will be fine then.

If the ABS warning is on as soon as you turn the key, along with three beeps, the ABS ECU is probably broken, which explains why the snapon kit couldnt connect.

yes, abs light is on as all other warning lights, then 3 bleeps and then flashing warning, which is ever so annoying,

so do i need to match the ecu seriel numbers like the main ecu?

hopefully itll sort it. will vagcom tell me, not the free version but a proper scan?

If the ECU is broken then the vagcom lead will do the same thing as the snapon thing, ie it wont be able to connect.

ah ok, i mean full vcds, so do i need to match serial/part numbers or can i buy any ecu as long as its for my model/year

The normal fix for this is to have the abs ecu repaired. There are a number of people who do this (e.g. BBS Reman). Basically you can take the ecu off the pump and send it off for testing\repair. There are lots of threads on this and a guide on the audiworld tech articles. I had mine repaired this way, its quite straight forward.

There are also a few guides around on fixing the ecu yourself which involves soldering back some very fine wires!

Good Luck

whats the cost on that? and didnt have any luck finding a guide, got a soldering magnifiying glass so i could do it. also have a goos iron and one with a very thin tip for such work

well looks like the unit has been touched twice or at least that.

has these stickers on

P1070222.jpg

P1070221.jpg

It's funked then ! Most repaired units i've seen don't last long !

Interesting, fairly sure my old S4 had a lynx sticker on the engine ECU after i bought a 'new' one from the repairer.. (the original ECU stopped working)

mmm, can i buy a s/h unit that is gurenteed to be working. do i need to match numbers like you do with the main ecu

and would the ******** abs ecu prevent the main ecu being accessed via the purple coms port?
if so am i able to remove the plug to stop this to get a scan?

also forgot to ask, if i remove the abs ecu, am i able to drive the car while its being repaired or will it not run, thining a fail safe might be in place?

Last edited:
Yes, there are about a million different part numbers.

If you look on the pump for the number, and ONLY get the same part number, you will be ok. You may, or may not have to code the unit (with VCDS). IIRC, traction control units will need coding, non traction control don't - but check!

There probably is at least one, or most likely three, alternatives. This can be checked with ElsaWin.

You can remove the module from the pump, and continue to drive without ABS, but with functioning brakes.Seal the pump up to prevent s*** ingress. This allows you to send it away to the likes of ECU Testing, or such-like for repair.
They will also fix your clocks (they did mine, after BBA Reman s****d mine)

You probably can't access the main ECU due to the copy unit being set up wrong. Check what ports are being used. You wont get much help or sympathy on this forum, as many here get excited about clones (as some replies here have shown - GIYF). I don't care, but I have a genuine lead because I think it's good enough software that RossTech deserve the cash! I made the cost back with a couple of timing checks and a recode. It saved me a lot of b*******g about too. Your choice.

Last edited: