Replacement Key Coding

steve5s

Reaction score
Hello is if possible to code a replacement key for a 1998 A4 yourself so that I can avoid paying the main dealer?

I dont think so, but I may be wrong.... Also I dont think it's that dear is it (never had one done though, so again I might be wrong)

Note - If dealer does it and something's not right or goes wrong, at least you can go back to them to sort it, I guess with no charge as it should be covered by some sort of warranty.

Sorry I cant be more helpfull but I'm sure someone else will reply

These directions will allow you to reprogram your remote-control "switchblade" keys to full functionality. The '00 S4 manual claims that if you press the buttons too many times outside the range of the car, the key will deprogram itself. I don't know the reasoning behind this.

You will need BOTH of your "switchblade" keys to reprogram one or both of them.

1. Take the key you DO NOT want to program and put it in the ignition. Turn it one click forward.
2. Close and lock the drivers door with the second key.
3. On the second key (the one in the drivers door) press the 'UNLOCK' button ONCE only.
The lights will flash on the car, but the doors will remain locked
4. With the second key still in the drivers door, unlock then lock the door again.
5. Pull the key from the slot and test remote functions.
6. Open drivers door, remove key from ignition.

If both of your remotes don't work, do the above for the first key, but on step #3, press the 'UNLOCK' button twice. The lights will flash twice, then continue on with step #4.

Hi Doc, thanks for the info. One Question, you mention "switchblade", do you mean the flip type as I'm intending to get a "standard non flip" type (because its a loads cheaper).

Will the above instructions still apply?

Thanks

OK question , how many keys should you get ????
i HAVE
1 X Switchblade Key
1 x black head with the audi "hoops" on it (in silver) with torch
1 x black head (plain) with barcode(the barcode is sperate not on the key)

In between step 1 and 2 it is recommended to open the drivers window incase it all goes wrong and you get locked out (don't know if this could happen but read it somewhere once).

Greg

From what i know it only works on the 98- with switchblade. but try it as never know.

Think were supposed to get 2 keys and 1 valet key but could be wrong.

Hi Docurley, I have now got a replacement flip key (same part number). The key will lock/unlock the doors but the dash imobiliser icon repeatedly flashes. Any idea what I have done/doing wrong?

Thanks

Not sure as these were instruction I found and posted up but I will have a search and see what I find.

So does the key work the doors remotely?

Reprogramming Keyless Entry ('97 model)

You will need two keys and both remotes to (re)program your remotes. Follow the directions below. Note: the 1996 model year remotes are different and probably will not work the manner below. I do not know the situation with later model years.

Take one key and put it in the ignition and turn the ignition ON.
Close and lock the driver's door with the second key (while the ignition remains on).
Take the first remote and press the "UNLOCK" button ONCE only - alarm will 'beep' but door will remain locked.
With the key, unlock and lock the door again.
Test the remote by pressing the "UNLOCK" button again - door should unlock.
Open the door and turn ignition off and back on again using the first key.
Continue the procedure for the second remote - close & lock the door with the second key (leaving the ignition on).
Take the second remote and press the "UNLOCK" button TWICE - alarm will 'beep' each time button is pressed but door will remain locked.
With the key, unlock and lock the door again.
Test the remote by pressing the "UNLOCK" button again - door should unlock.
Remove both keys, close the door and perform a final retest by locking and unlocking the car with both remotes.
FAQ addition from Dale Kirstein:

Several people have e-mailed me over the last few months about this, so perhaps you would like to add this to the Keyless entry FAQ regarding 96 models, otherwise none as "Classic A4" It refers to keyfobs with 2 buttons only.

Here is the procedure for programming the keyless locking system on 96 A4s to respond to a new keyfob, or to reset it if it gets "stupid". This procedure assumes that you have the keyless entry option factory installed, and are just adding a new fob (although I've been told you can buy the receiver later and install it yourself) . You can do it at home. You will need 2 keys.

Please Note: The 1996 keyless system doesn't let you do any of the fancy coding features that the later cars allow. All you can do is unlock all and lock all. The point of the FAQ is to allow you to program your car to respond to a new keyless remote that you've bought, or if for some reason the car stops responding you can sometimes "wake it up" with that procedure.

1. Put 1 key in the ignition and turn it on. (Don't start the car, just turn it on until the dash lights up.
2. Roll down driver's side window. (You don't really have to do this, but I'd hate to lock my key in the car)
3. Take the second key and lock the car using the drivers door.
4. Hold BOTH buttons on the remote until the turn signals flash and the door unlocks. It should take about 5 seconds or less. Bingo!

To program a second remote, open the door, turn the ignition off and back on, lock the door and hold both buttons on the second remote until the lights flash and the door unlocks.

Hi docurley the cars a 1998 A4 Avant TDI. Just going to check out the info above. Ta

Still not able to start the car with the key, the imombiliser is still enable. Humm

Still no luck with getting the key to start the car.

Searching the net I found some info at http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/1,2,12,15,22,25,26,27,3/Number/432203/Main/384379/

The last post here states and I quote "There are three parts to introducing a remote to an Audi/VW car.
1st. The keyblade needs to be cut to physically operate the locks. All keys that I cut for this are provided with the 4-digit key code number.
2nd. The transponder chip held within the remote needs to be programmed into the immobiliser to enable the car to be started. A 4-digit direct SKC code or 7 digit indirect code is required for this.
3rd. The remote needs to be programmed into the central locking and/or alarm system. On the majority of VW/Audi vehicles you can do this yourself with the correct procedure".

Any Idea where the A 4-digit direct SKC code can be located, I only have the service book with my car?

Confirmed by my local independent. A Audi main dealer is the only way to get the immobiliser to function with the replacement key. Both keys need to de coded at the same time otherwise the other will not work. Car now booked in for Thursday. Ho well...