question about sorting my ride height out - 2.8Q

pjw

Reaction score
I just bought an A4 2.8 V6 Quattro, B5.

Its bouncy as hell and upon inspection someone has fitted Apexi lowering springs on OEM dampers, which have given up. The rear of the car is lower than the front by about an inch and overall pretty rubbish.

I want to ideally just replace the back shocks as the fronts arent too bad, and about the right ride height (about two fingers between the wing and the top of the tyre). My question is about what to fit. I know i cant fit B6 rears, nor passat or avant rears.

However, i dont want to have a massive gap in my rear arches by fitting bog standard OEM springs and dampers. Are the Audi sport springs a little bit lower? I keep catching my centre section join on speedbumps and its just not practical, and its knackering my nice shiny stainless system. Ideally i would like a two finger gap in the rear.

audi sport springs i think are about 15-20mm lower than standard, which will of course make it look lower than standard, but will still look bit high compared to having after market stuff etc.

ive got fk springs which are i think iirc 25-30mm lower than the oe sport paired up with a full set of rs4 dampers that my mate had o his car but had only done 500miles as they had just been replaced and then he deicded to go coilovers lol

my car isnt bouncy but is quite firm and even small bumps etc feel big, but it handles lovely now, and the front sits slightly lower than the rear or has the illusion off it.

post a pic of the car.

If its sitting with reverse rake i'd suggest either the rear springs are broken, or the front springs arent the right ones for your car.

I'd suggest you buy a decent full set of springs, so they're properly matching, and then get some appropriate dampers to go along with them. I might have a set of RS4 rear shocks (and maybe fronts too) available if your interested?

I think the rears are the wrong springs to be honest, they look pretty new. Im just going to replace the backs. Is there a way to differentiate between OEM bog standard springs and Sport ones?

What sort of price are you wanting for the rears, and will they fit?

The oem springs have colour spots on them. I think i've actually got a set of standard S4 rear springs too.

They'll fit so long as its a B5 Quattro.

I'll drop you a PM shortly.

The oem springs have colour spots on them. I think i've actually got a set of standard S4 rear springs too.

They'll fit so long as its a B5 Quattro.

I'll drop you a PM shortly.

Aragorn

if pjw dont want the standard s4 rear springs i will buy them from you if you have them