Volks AutosSky Insurance
    3rd Gear

Status

Rear Suspension Help

I'm in the process of renewing the rear bushes and control arm on my 2.5TDi Quattro (Check out All Germans new 'refresh kit'). I'm having a hell of a job with seized parts and although I have new eccentric bolts, arms and drop links, I'm really struggling.

I'm stuck on how to remove the lower wishbone front bolts, as access to both nut and bolt is limited, to say the least! Is it easier to drop the subframe, similar to doing the front control arms? If I lower the subframe, will I have to disconnect any brake lines? All my brake connections so far are solid, and if I try to undo them, I will snap parts!
    I'm needing in to change the bushes.

My rear control arms bolts are seized solid in the sleeve. I'm not keen on using a gas cutter there, and can't get in with an angle grinder. I don't need to reuse anything as I have new parts. Last time (on hers) I did manage to get everything out intact using Aeroshell Fluid 3 light penetrating oil and 2 days of working the bolts (that's why I bought the new eccentric bolts and washers this time), but I don't think so this will work on mine. Anybody got through this one with some clues?

I've got the front arms done, and have pictures so will try and do a 'how to' for front and rear (although the rear seems to be 'how not to' at the moment) I'm normally pretty good with this sort of thing, having grown up working with Cortinas!
    1999 A4 B5 1.9 TDi FWD Saloon, Green SOLD
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant, Maroon, 'Panzer' Plated (currently sporting wrecked engine - and gearbox )
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Saloon, Blue, 'Panzer' Plated, Cruise Control retrofitted, OEM 6 Disc Changer retrofitted
    2006 A6 Allroad 3.0 TDi Blue, awaiting stuff to be done!

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    apart from removing the subframe and burning the crap out of them with the oxy/cet...... i think your a little stuck!

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    What about something like a sawzall to cut the tie rod free?

IIRC the front lower bolt is a spanner job, as you say you cant get any ratchet into it.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    What about something like a sawzall to cut the tie rod free?

IIRC the front lower bolt is a spanner job, as you say you cant get any ratchet into it.
    That's the sort of thing I'm thinking - although i don't have one

I'm looking at drilling to weaken the bolt near the frame, then hopefully it'll snap when I turn it. The lower bushes will have to wait, I think, as I've booked the 4 wheel alignment for tomorrow. I'll try and post pics at a later date.
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant, Maroon, 'Panzer' Plated (currently sporting wrecked engine - and gearbox )
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Saloon, Blue, 'Panzer' Plated, Cruise Control retrofitted, OEM 6 Disc Changer retrofitted

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Given you need to undo the rear alignment to do the lower bushes, seems a bit silly not just to cancel and book again once its sorted properly...

3rd Gear

Status
    Yes, but, if i change the arms and the outboard lower bushes (on the camber adjuster) it needs to be done now, and the guy is apparently a 'go to' guy for this, and needs a weeks notice!.
    I'm using him as the last crowd that did it obviously hadn't moved any of the rear ones much, judging by how solid they were.
    I'll just have to redo it at another date - maybe do the ARBs and springs/dampers at the same time. Although just the inboard lower wishbone bushes shouldn't have too much effect

Good news on the arm front, got in with a 41/2" grinder, with a 5" disc. Just the other side now!

Now managed to lock up a driveshaft knuckle

3rd Gear

Status
    Hmmm, not a great job! It's obviously my turn for car grief

Thanks Aragorn for the chat, I was just about hunting for a ladder and some rope!

Anyway, the job is mostly done (I left the lower wishbone inner bushes for another day), it took about 3 days all in (plus overnight last night). Most of the trouble was seized parts. Made especially annoying when they should have been adjusted and moved not so long ago.

The locked up inner CV Joint neccessitated removal, which ended up spilling ball bearings all over the (farm muddy) floor as it split at the wrong section! A couple of hours searching for 6 balls, and then I was able to dismantle, clean and remantle it.

I did get picture of the front arm replacment, and a couple of the back bits, so when I get time I'll try and do a 'How to' although I'm back on shift now and have other car grief to deal with.

The car feels really tight on the steering wheel now, and with the 4 wheel alignment done properly, really grips the road.

Unfortunately I have just destroyed my Panzer Plate, which makes travel up and down my drive hazzardous!

1st Gear

Status
    Not sure if this is any use? This is for rear bushes on 2WD Audi B5. Only work I've done on my own one was replacement springs, rear ARB bushes and split ABS reluctor ring. Bushes on mine are still original at 136k. Suspension Audi A4 rear suspension bush replacement - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales
    2002 A2 1.4 TDi SE (125k)
    2001 A4 2.5 TDi Avant Quattro Sport (155k)
    1995 80 TDi Avant SE (175k) Sold

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks,
    That's a good write up. The Quattro is a little different, but the idea is the same. I had a few issues, mainly with removing corroded parts, but some of the bushes themselves were a bugger to get in.

The REAL bummer is not only have I still got to do my lower wishbone one, but her car needs them all done too!

3rd Gear

Status
    Her car is now in the garage getting done !

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Couldnt face doing it yourself?! :P

3rd Gear

Status

3rd Gear

Status