after run fan question

audi-a6

Reaction score
I think mine is being weird, as normally after a long run, you can here the fan come on after turning engine off, but sometimes it a quiet fan noise, other times it sounds like its taking off!! but today i drove the car less than 5 minutes, turned the engine off and the fan cut in at its highest speed, stayed on for around a minute, then cut off, then about 20 seconds later, came back on again and done this for about 10-15 minutes, surely this aint right??????

It's really wierd, today I drove 15 mile, stopped and then fan came on like it should (quiet) then 1 hr later had to move car about 400 yards, stopped and fan came on in take off mode..... On .... Off.... On. Ect

is there any way this could be linked to my boost problem i have, mentioned in an other topic?

I got no idea.
Sorry.

I assume the A6 section is really that quiet?

Have you asked the B6 lot?
It might be something they can help with if its closer to their age of cars?

yeah its quiet, i posted here as the engines are the same as the s4........ will give a go though

okay. An up date, this morning i started the car and only had it running for about 5 min, turned it off and the fan cut in as usual, full blast!!! then i noticed some smoke at the back of the engine that i worked out was only happening when the after run fan was on (fast or slow) so i took of the 'y' pipe to get a better view and this is what i found

scaled.php

this is located at the back of the head, so you can get a rough idea of where it is above it are 3 pipes vacum for fuel pressure reg, vacume for brake servo and another random pipe, so what is this part? and why has/is it melting when the engine is off and the after run fan is on???

Last edited:
Its the afterrun pump. Circulates water around the engine/turbos after shutdown.

The fan thing you mention could be due to a faulty fan controller, but i'd fix that pump first.

So I need a new afer run pump and loom plug? Where is the fan controller located? And do you think it's just a faulty pump causing the melted plug? Or could it be something worse? As I don't want to change it and then the new one melts as well?

plug doesnt look melted to me, its just covered in crystallised coolant.

If it IS melted then a new plug and new pump should fix it.

AFAIK you can use the pump from some vauxhall instead of the Audi one.

plug doesnt look melted to me, its just covered in crystallised coolant.

If it IS melted then a new plug and new pump should fix it.

AFAIK you can use the pump from some vauxhall instead of the Audi one.

Oh really? dont suppose you know which one and yeah plug is defo melted :-(