EM TuningMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

Pulls to the left badly!

Guys,

my car has now developed a real bad case of pulling to the left. I've just had the rear lower control arms changed which have fixed the wandering problems i was having but have now highlighted this. Nothing else was touched when these were changed and the tracking is fine [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Any ideas?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

Grumpy Old Man

Status

Re: Pulls to the left badly!

Never overlook the obvious. You have checked the tyre pressures, haven't you?

1st Gear

Status

yeah, they're all spot on. if i jack the car up and have a look everything looks ok and i have no play anywhere

imported_VaulterTim

Again, an obvious one, but... wheel balance?

Did you previously have anything changed to correct the wandering problem BEFORE getting the rear control arms done?

Tim

6th Gear

Status

Maybe the bushes have worn badly on one side [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif[/img]

6th Gear

Status

Sounds like the steering rack/power steering motor.

It could that there's a fault which means the power steering motor is over compensating in one direction.

On a clear straight road, get some speed up, knock it out of gear and turn the engine off. Coast to a halt and see if if still pulls to the left. If it doesn't then it's the power steering motor. If it does then it's something else.

1st Gear

Status

cheers lads, i'll give that a go. Hope it isnt the steering etc. how expensive a fix is that?

5th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]

Also DON'T take the key out of the ignition as the steering lock will come on - not helpful [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

SECOND that!!! be VERY careful if you choose to do that.

1st Gear

Status

lol- I'm not that stupid. I did it today anyway and it still pulls to the left with the engine off so i assume i can rule out the above! I'm stumped. might just change the bits i havent already changed and see if that sorts it.

imported_VaulterTim

Deano,

Sounds really annoying mate...

If it pulls that badly then there must be something fairly obvious wrong with it that will more than likely show itself on close inspection...

Get under the car and carefully compare both sides with each other, all components, bushes, linkages, bolts, wheels from all angles... everything!

There HAS to be something wrong that's visible if it's pulling that badly...

Just a small thought... I once had a similar problem on an old car that first manifested itself as vibration. I found it completely by accident as I was looking at the front bumper.

One of the tyres had a bulge on the inside wall.

Just a thought, hope you get it sorted soon mate...

Cheers

Tim

1st Gear

Status

If it disappears when you brake it could well be a brake binding - braking would push the `other` brake pads against the disk so evening out the problem, only when you took your foot off the brakes would just the faulty pad remain in contact pulling the car to that side. It would basically be a pad sticking on when you released pressure from the pedal.

Good luck with the investigations.

Greg

Neutral

Status

hi mate, have just bought an A3 and am havin exactly the same problems as u... the only thing i've noticed is the front left wing has been taken off and had a tiny respray in the corner where it joins the front bumper.... HPI is clear so ummm :-/ Did u find that u had to turn the steering wheel slightly to the right to compensate for the pull to the left? i had the tracking done and they sed it was out but it's not made any difference. its booked into audi for a special tracking thing they do begining with a B...... (can't spell or pronounce it) it's going to cost me 117.50 so lets hope they fix it or at least find the source of the problem...