S4 advice needed , new member

redstrat

Reaction score
Hi everyone.. My name is Phil and i am from Belfast in N.Ireland. I am after a bit of advise on purchasing and tuning an S4...

I currently drive a 02 Bmw 330Ci sport which i have to say is a great car .... but i want something with a bit more tuning potential and more GO.... I used to have a modded Fiat coupe 20VT and i love turbo power , i also like the engine tuning side of forced induction, after trying to decided on which car to get i have settled on a S4 2.7 Bi Turbo.... (as soon as i can find a good one for sale)

Are there any buying guides about for these cars ? What are the common problems etc?

Also how much engine wise can be done to them?

I understand you can chip them AMD/Revo and i would imagine as being a turbo car they will benefit from larger more efficient Inter-coolers and hybrid turbo's but what sort of BHP is realistic for about 2-3k of tuning ?

Ideally i would like to make it fast and reliable

If anyone has any pics of some nice S4's can you post them up to give me some idea's for styling....

Follow the Link to see my 330. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/861684

Very glad i found this forum...

Cheers

Phil

Styling wise you can look at any of the A4's for that as they share the same basic shell unlike the RS4 which is another option altogether.

Tunning wise your basicly need to knick a load of stuff of the RS4 and yes all the intercooler parts are a must as I understand.

Y pipes
intercooler
aftermarket exshult £500-£600
RS4 Turbos !!!
And a good chip £600-£700
Fuel pump (must)

There may be more but I'm sure someone will chip in.

Power well you can get these up to around 350hp with chip, pump and system after that it gets costly. Try and pick-up stuff on the German ebay as this will keep things down, or I know of a moded S4 lump with all of the parts above going for around £4k maybe less or an RS4 lump and box for £6k.

Excellent thanks for the info... Is the rs4 lump a straight swap ?

350bhp would be about perfect for me i think... I have seen An RS4 Kit for sale , includes intercoolers and turbo's, which might be the perfect job....

Whats the correct order , are the fuel pumps a weak part on the S4 ?

1. Fuel pump
2. Chip and Exhaust
3. Intercoolers
4.Turbo's

How about injectors etc... Do i need to bother with these ?

This is a long term project not all at once hence the correct route , i would like it to be as reliable as resonably possible... I don't just want to whack the boost up and drive it like i stole it....

Thanks again

Phil

Depends on the year, to do a straight swap without the hassle of the wiring then you need a late S4 (Face lift) or you have hassle.

If you want the 350hp then you should be able to do that with chip & Exhaust and Pos pump depends on the chip programming, as the pump will be working over time. If you go the bigger turbo then for sure but I think from memory the injectors are good for 350hp.

If you contact a few of the chipping companies they will be able to help more. MTM is one of the best along with REVO and Dialynx if I got that right there are others that I'm sure I have missed also pop over to www.RS246.com they will have a load more info.

Excellent ty very much... All info is greatly appreciated

The most you will see from a re-mapped S4 is ~ 320 ish.
If you read on some forums,mainly RS246.com, its debatable whether just the catback exhaust actually gives you the claimed 10-15bhp. Cost of a remap is anywhere between £500 - 800, and the catback only is about £4-500. To achieve ~345bhp you efinately need the exhaust, plus the sports cats/downpipes, then it starts getting expensive.
Stock fuel pump is claimed to be at its limit about 360 bhp, then bigger Bosch motorsport/Warlboro/RS4 etc is needed.
To go further then you are looking at RS4/hybrid turbos, injectors,etc.Its not cheap due to being an engine out job,. It then becomes a case of getting as much work done as possible while the engine is out/front of the car is off, like uprated intercoolers, oilcooler,RS4 clutch,etc...
Like Doc said tho', at that sort of money, its time to start thinking about the RS4 engine......
Dont forget to factor in bigger brakes and uprated suspension.....

Try searching out things like QSTuning, AutoAMD/AMD teknik, Starperformance, Jabbasport,Dialynx, or MRC tuning, to give you a rough indication of £ for bhp......
HTH
Dean

There is an S4 on ebay now with 21,500 miles on the clock, FSH. Now thats the kind of milage you want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
There is an S4 on ebay now with 21,500 miles on the clock, FSH. Now thats the kind of milage you want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Your not wrong.... Wish i had sold my car .... Its going in the trader and paper in the next 2 weeks... Hopefully it will sell quickly

Your 330ci looks very nice. I was considering one before I got my S4. With the fuel bills I've got I'm now wondering if I made the right choice!!