What turbo is fitted to the 1.8TQS and what's the best upgrade ?

adamss24

Reaction score
As per title realy, someone offered me a ko4 genuine turbo, 4 Bar MAP sensor and de-cat pipe, was fitted for a little while to a b5 passat FWD but it's getting broken for spares. Also, is a late V reg a chip job or can it be remapped ? I'ts cable throttle which suggest that it's a chip job... Thanks for your suggestions...
Chris.

All TQS's have the AJL engine, which does not have a map sensor.

The standard turbo is a K03-005, which is good for about 195hp, the K04-015 which is probably what you've been offered will do about 230ish.

Unfortunately the K04-015 is nothing like the K04-20 you'd find on a TT or S3, however you can build a hybrid using the bigger TT/S3 parts into your K03.

Personally i'd go for one of these bigger hybrid units, over a genuine -015, as the gains simply dont justify the effort involved. Or ofcourse fit a proper big turbo in the shape of a GT series garret.

How much power do you want?

Sorry to hijack the thread slightly but what are the costs involved in getting a tqs from standard t around 230bhp? are they much worse on fuel?

230 should be just about achievable with just a turbo swap, injectors and a remap. This is the figure i'm aiming for on my Avant once i've sorted the clutch, and bar the turbo, the only other mod that i've got lined up is some larger injectors.

Ideally you'll also want an exhaust, sport cat and decent intercooler, to make the figure more repeatable and get the temps under control.

MAF maxes out around 235hp, so you'll need to change that if you want more.

Thanks Kev, the whole package will cost me £500-600 and it will comprise of the ko4 turbo, FMIC , decat and silicone hoses. Sorry, it was a fuel pressure regulator i was on about, not a MAP sensor...

Sounds a fair price then. The AJL already has a 4 bar regulator anyway.

Personally i dont like the decat approach, would rather have a proper downpipe made in 2.5-3" pipe with a sport cat in it, but i guess it works and is cheap.

Also i dont really think the stock injectors are up to flowing 230hp safely, i'd suggest upgrading them, and dropping the fuel pressure to 3 bar to give the pump an easier time.

The map is the tricky bit on these engines, but there are a few guys around who finally appear to be able to map them. Not sure who is closest to you, perhaps Nick at RTech given your location.

Thanks, just got the "beast" tested this morning, only few minor advisories: pitted front discs, a oil leak from rocker cover and few worn susp. arms. Still in 2 minds what to do with it, it's rather thirsty for the performance, the old a6 tdi quattro (fjtwelve's old motor) will run circles round it and still return better Mpg but it's a heavy barge suited more for motorway drive...
Thing is i love the color, kit and the interior + i have loads of spares from my old b5 tdi so i might retrofit a few bits (s4 bumpers, Bose, 6 speed gearbox/prop and diff, front and rear brakes, H&R antiroll bars, Eibach suspension + bilstein springs/rs4 springs and many more...) when i'll find the time !
The b5 TQS is such a nice car out of the box and it only takes a few upgrades to bring it in keep with newer models !