Chris NottAH Fabrications
    6th Gear

Status

What turbo is fitted to the 1.8TQS and what's the best upgrade ?

As per title realy, someone offered me a ko4 genuine turbo, 4 Bar MAP sensor and de-cat pipe, was fitted for a little while to a b5 passat FWD but it's getting broken for spares. Also, is a late V reg a chip job or can it be remapped ? I'ts cable throttle which suggest that it's a chip job... Thanks for your suggestions...
    Chris.
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    All TQS's have the AJL engine, which does not have a map sensor.

The standard turbo is a K03-005, which is good for about 195hp, the K04-015 which is probably what you've been offered will do about 230ish.

Unfortunately the K04-015 is nothing like the K04-20 you'd find on a TT or S3, however you can build a hybrid using the bigger TT/S3 parts into your K03.

Personally i'd go for one of these bigger hybrid units, over a genuine -015, as the gains simply dont justify the effort involved. Or ofcourse fit a proper big turbo in the shape of a GT series garret.

How much power do you want?

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Clueless!

Status
    Sorry to hijack the thread slightly but what are the costs involved in getting a tqs from standard t around 230bhp? are they much worse on fuel?

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    230 should be just about achievable with just a turbo swap, injectors and a remap. This is the figure i'm aiming for on my Avant once i've sorted the clutch, and bar the turbo, the only other mod that i've got lined up is some larger injectors.

Ideally you'll also want an exhaust, sport cat and decent intercooler, to make the figure more repeatable and get the temps under control.

MAF maxes out around 235hp, so you'll need to change that if you want more.

6th Gear

Status
    Thanks Kev, the whole package will cost me £500-600 and it will comprise of the ko4 turbo, FMIC , decat and silicone hoses. Sorry, it was a fuel pressure regulator i was on about, not a MAP sensor...
    FOR SALE:
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Sounds a fair price then. The AJL already has a 4 bar regulator anyway.

Personally i dont like the decat approach, would rather have a proper downpipe made in 2.5-3" pipe with a sport cat in it, but i guess it works and is cheap.

Also i dont really think the stock injectors are up to flowing 230hp safely, i'd suggest upgrading them, and dropping the fuel pressure to 3 bar to give the pump an easier time.

The map is the tricky bit on these engines, but there are a few guys around who finally appear to be able to map them. Not sure who is closest to you, perhaps Nick at RTech given your location.

6th Gear

Status
    Thanks, just got the "beast" tested this morning, only few minor advisories: pitted front discs, a oil leak from rocker cover and few worn susp. arms. Still in 2 minds what to do with it, it's rather thirsty for the performance, the old a6 tdi quattro (fjtwelve's old motor) will run circles round it and still return better Mpg but it's a heavy barge suited more for motorway drive...
    Thing is i love the color, kit and the interior + i have loads of spares from my old b5 tdi so i might retrofit a few bits (s4 bumpers, Bose, 6 speed gearbox/prop and diff, front and rear brakes, H&R antiroll bars, Eibach suspension + bilstein springs/rs4 springs and many more...) when i'll find the time !
    The b5 TQS is such a nice car out of the box and it only takes a few upgrades to bring it in keep with newer models !
    FOR SALE: