audi a4 1.8t both front windows not working, any ideas?

andyw82

Reaction score
right, when i put me sub in about 4 months ago. i used the hole in the bulkhead where the bonnet pull cable goes, any way never managed to get the gromit back to seal the hole, as i never noticed at the time, not much rain was fine, but the last month or so with the weather like it is there have been a swimming pool in me car drivers side front and back, so i tried sealing the hole with body panel selent. think i have stoped that but car is still slightly damp. right both front windows have stopped working and the drivers side is down alittle, carnt get it to go up, not by button, key in the door or holding the lock button for a bit, nothing works but every few days if i press the window switch the window goes down a tad, and then nothing. i believe they r linked to the central locking pump as once i disconnected it and they didnt work, any ideas? backs r windy so no prob there.

could you explain better where it is please aragorn. ;-)

Theres a huge fuse for the windows up behind drivers side of the dash if i remember, you need to screw off the bottom of the dash from the ignition to the pedals. It should be somewhere up high to the right.

just checked, and the fuse aint blow, just the contacts covered in crap, gave it a wiggle and hey presto. thanks again.

I am having the same exact problem but I cant see, to find the fuse you are talking about

its tucked right up the back of the central electrics panel.

Remove the bolster panel under the steering column and you will be able to see the main central electrics bus bar, undo that and pull it forward and the window fuses are in behind there on a second panel.

I might be able to get you a photo of mine later on.

Aragorn if you could get me a picture that would be a big help I had the whole panel down in my shop and couldn't find them

Here are some photos to help any one with the same issue. This is of my Audi S4 B5 the thermal fuse for the front windows is the silver and green one on the left. I replace mine and my windows were back to working.

Audi thermal fuse
Audi thermal fuse 2