repair / replace LED screen for DIS?

TeKnodriver

Biodiesel Purrrr
Reaction score
After putting up with a faulty DIS screen for the last year I'd like to get it working properly again.

unit has some dead lines of pixels [not too fussed about this]
but more annoyingly display is only visible when car is cold - after driving for 20 minutes the screen fades to nothing!

so - are the instruction CDs on how to fix from ebay any use?

otherwise, what can be done?

car is '98 TDi and non-VDO dials [I think]

Thanks all!

The instructional CD's from eBay are useless and tell you to wedge a strip of cardboard across the ribbon cable to improve the connection, but it does feck all. Unless you are a surgeon with a hot air soldering iron, it's not a DIY job either.

I had mine done (along with about 30 other guys) by a guy called Tektronics on eBay lsat year and wish I had done it years ago. Think you are looking at around £150 to get it done.

Don't do the cheap DIY fixes on ebay. they are pointless.
Stump up the cash and pay the guy above or Cluster Repairs to do it.

I got mine done by Cluster Repairs for about £140 with 5 year warranty, full service and repair.

Hmmm... suddenly sounding pricey...

forgot to mention the mileage display is missing some segments so I'd need that doing really too -
would that be a separate unit to refurb or is that cost to service the whole clock assembly?

another vote for Cluster Repairs. Done about three years ago now. Mine done in Great Yarmouth when I was in the area..... while I waited, took barely an hour , ( went and had coffee & cake Mrs kingfisher was in M&s Debenhams etc. so it was more than £150 in the end.... !! )