B5 Dash inserts

PAULF

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have been having some grief with my wifes' (DIS dead) and it finally looked like I was getting somewhere, until.....

The dash insert I got was a pre-facelift with no boot open warning, whereas hers was a hybrid facelift with boot warning and analogue clock! I was told this at the time of purchase, but was not bothered as it was to test if the faults were dash or car related.
The original dash part number was 8D0919930M, and the one fitted was 8D0919930 HX

I now have Byzans alarm issue as mentioned here Replacing and re-coding dash clocks in S4?

Can any of the participants remember the fix, or give me a clue as to how to disable the alarm for (possibly) a few weeks whilst hers gets tested and then fixed?

The way things are going, it's starting to look like she's going to get something else, and somebody is going to get a bargain deal on a B5 2.5TDi Q Avant with a 30,000 mile engine and Diesel Bob recon'd pump and injectors! (or it'll go the way of my three cortinas last month and get squished with the tractor and weighed in!)

You just need to cut one wire behind the clocks. Isnt it detailed in byzans post?

I'll take a look today and find which wire it is for you!

Ok i THINK its green connector, pin 12, should be blue/purple in color.

The wiring diagram seems to specify it as "hot light switch" whatever that means, but pin12 on the cluster is used to shut off the air conditioner...

I'm unsure if you need to also disconnect the wire from the AC unit itself, perhaps mark can remember.

Alternatively, and maybe better than cutting the wire at the cluster and the AC unit, assuming i'm reading the diagram correctly, if you cut the wire at T15a (orange 15pin connector at the foot of the drivers A pillar, pin 1, green/red going in and blue/purple coming out) that should return it to prefacelift spec wiring.

Thanks, I'll look and try that later.

I didn't see any detail in his post, but it was late!

I'm not going to cut anything, just de-pin as I want to replace the original dash once its fixed

Hmmm

My Orange connector is a 10 pin one, Pin 1 being black and red, pin 8 is purple and blue - in and out! However, locking the car with it unplugged the alarm doesn't go off.
I'm guessing the blue/purple wire is the one I'm after to de-pin - if I can find the pin lock!

Nope!
Couldn't find the lock, so cut it - and was wrong!
Rejoined with my trusty Raychem splice, and found out that the alarm DOES still go off with the orange 10 pin plug disconnected.
Now looking for a 15 pin connector in there

Got it!
My T15a is a black, 17 pin connector, right A pillar relay holder! Cut the purple and blue wire and the alarm works as it should.

Thanks for the pointers Aragorn, I'd have been a while figuring it out on my own!

I think I'm going to have to learn to read the Audi wiring diagrams properly, and find how to de-pin connectors. Any info on the subject would be appreciated. (I can read complex computer based diagrams, but don't follow Audis' philosophy well at all)