KO4 PARTS LIST REQUIRED PLEASE ON 1.8T B5 !!!

Royh1179

Reaction score
:icon_thumright: hi guys been on the hunt for a ko3s upgrade for my t-sport but keep geting told to go ko4
so my friends i am in-need of a parts list on what i will need to upgrade from the ko3 to the ko4 ??
and i can see this being expensive lol :blackrs4:be gentle lol

you first need to locate a k05-14 turbo as they are rare and expensive. Seeing they are really only about as big as a k03s on a transverse, you will get away with just a decent intake and slightly larger injectors.

The Longitudinal engine doesn't get a k03s, you could maybe try a hybrid?

I was going to go for a K04, but when I looked at getting one the cost versus the power gains made me rethink it, now will be going hybrid turbo route.

Depends on what kind of power you are looking for?

so a ko3s cant go on mine then ?????? byzan

as for power sulli well well we allways want more lol but got told it would do nicley around the 220 mark ??? but mi new to these 1.8 20v engines so dont know that much about them ,,

most of my mates either got the a3's an golfs but i dindt want to do the same so chose a4

The turbo commonly referred to as a "k03s" is a transverse turbo, ie it only fits A3/Golf platform cars.

As for required mods...

Decent front mounted intercooler and a 2.5 or 3" downpipe with sportcat is a good starting point.

As for the turbo itself, instead of buying a proper K04-015, you can modify your existing K03 (or i can sell you a standard turbo you can have modified and then install)

You want the exhaust housing machined out the take the Turbine wheel from an S3, then you have a few options on the compressor side, either keep the existing housing and use either an RS4 compressor, or a 2077 ETT wheel. These will be good for around 240hp. If you want more, then you can use an S3 compressor, housing and backplate, which probably gives scope for around 260hp.

Your choice of turbo will then dictate further mods.

The original MAF maxes out around 230-235hp, so if you go with the smaller compressor and accept a max of around 230-235 then you'll get away with only an injector upgrade (C20LET Yellows)

If you want to push for 240+ then you'll need to upgrade to a 3" MAF housing.

Reactions: Royh1179
On mine I've gone a slightly different route to most people.

I've used a K04-15, larger fuel pump, air filter, FMIC and a MBC with a Stage 3 chip although I'm running a standard CAT It was actually useless come MOT time so will at some point get a decat but at the moment it's boosting to 18psi and holding at 17.5psi to go further injectors would be the next step so as mentioned C20LET's or SAAB Reds are suitable as is a larger MAF I'm happy with it at the moment smooth power band and efficiently burning during combustion, half a tank of mixed driving has got me 186 miles :)

As it's my daily I want to keep reliability rather than power and prolong the life of the components too :)

thanks guys :icon_thumright: if i see 230 ill be ok with that as like you JMills its my daily driver also so still need the reliability and efficiencey
glad i didnt buy the k03s i was watching on ebay now lol
so should the best bet be mod my ko3 or push for ko4 ??

Only thing i guess you could call an S would be a K03-73 from the BEX engined B6 1.8t 190 which should do 230ish but they`re even harder to find than a K04 so easiest bet would be what Aragorn said and get one built from your existing turbo.

modded ko3 then thanks for all your help guys much appreciated :icon_thumright:

Theres a chap on here called Beachbuggy thats built a few for people, might be worth dropping him a PM.

If you need a spare turbo to build on then give me a shout.

ill look him up cheerz mate nice one and if i do require turbo then ill pm you cheerz

I have some bits from a K04-001 (which I believe is a K03 with a bigger compressor wheel.)

hi jcb soz mate only just seen this post ill look into it and let you know cheerz what bits you got laying about ??