Audio Advice - Replacing back speakers running off amp + a sub

I

imported_ZeroK66

Hi Guys,

Going to chat to someone this weekend about doing an audio install...

Basically, I hope to run my 4 channel amp and run 2-way speakers replacing the bose ones in the back and add a sub.

What do I need to know? Anyone got a diagram of the wire pin-outs for the amp so I know where to get the line outs from and is there soemthing I need to do about the bose settings so I can run the std speakers - I seem to recall something about this?

Does anyone have any advice as to what speakers I can put in the back? What size are the holes and what 2-way's would fit in there nicely?

Thanks,
Leon

Thanks Andy... any recommendations on good 6.5" speakers that can go in the back? Where is a good place to get the adapters?

The bose settings being altered... would that not affect the door speakers badly then?

Thanks for the quick reply.

To be honest you'd be far better upgrading the fronts and driving these off the new amp, the rears are really only for passengers, they won't enhance the sound for the driver. I've a full Alpine system with sub and prefer the sound with the Pioneer custom fit rears completely off.
If you ae spending money then send it on the front components. The Bose units are horrendously bad.

Hi Andy...

Right, I NEED to replace the rear speakers as they are shot and are making a horrid noise now when the volume is cranked.

I am quite happy still with the sound from the front at the moment, but there is no reason for me not to replace them... and run the rear's off the std BOSE amp.

My question is - I take it you read up on car audio as it seems to be your passion - Is there any make/model of speakers you can recommend 6.5" for the rear & a 10" sub for the boot?

The amp I have got is not too powerful, just 150W RMS bridged for the sub, so I cant have anything too serious - although if it does not adversly effect the sound I would quite happily get a bigger sub so that when/if I upgrade my amp it takes the power well.

I can see me for now replacing the rear speakers and running the amp on them + the sub. Later though replacing the fronts, using the current amp for that and getting a larger amp to power the sub.

Really depends how much you want to spend, anything aftermarket will be better than what you've currently got, so the world is your oyster.
From reasonable Kenwoods, Pioneers or Alpine for around £50-£75, or go mad with MB Quarts at £500 and anything in between. You will need adapters to fit the Audi rear deck holes.
For the sub you need something quite efficient like JL Audio, but again it all depends how big a box, sealed or ported etc. The enclosure is as important as the sub itself.

I recently did a complete speaker swap-out, with help & guidance from Andymac. For the rears, I chose Kenwood 6.5-inch Dual Mags. They cost about £140, and personally, I think they sound great. I'm not using a separate amp, but running them directly off the amp of the Alpine HU I put in to replace the Concert last year.

The Dual Mags not only sound very good, but they are a good compact fit, which is important when you're using adapter rings. I'd definitely recommed that you audition a set before you make your final choice.

Thanks jdp!

Andy - there a number I can get you on? Seems I have a lot of questions and I dont want to bore you and drag out this post!

I have questions about box sizes, what I should be choosing, why ported over sealed etc.