AAAAHHHH brake squeal

adidasandy

Reaction score
Well changed my front pads from EDS Yellow to Ferodo D2500. The pads are 100% better that EDS (who I have never rated at all) but I am getting a squeal when applying the brake gently. Spoke to Ferodo and they told me 2 options to try.
1 = Apply CERA TEC paste to the back of the pad
2 = They are sending me some thin cardboard that I need to place on the rear of the pad(this seems very strange to me)

I think option 1 is the best route for now and if that doesn't work I may see my local engineering shop to see if he can make some squeal shims unless someone else has any good idea's?
Andy

Yeah I did, it lessened the noise abit from having nothing on at 1st but still bad enough.

Yeah but thin cardboard I have to cut to size? also said that my brakes will feel different as the cardboard absorbs force until bedded in. My shims have always been metal.

Pads I just put in had a sort or cushiony sticker on the non piston pad - I guess this is for a similar reason.

I have 4 pot calipers so guess I would have to placed on both sets of pads, I may just make some out of plastic or metal.

Ok this is really starting to pXX me off. Brakes still squeal and is from the front one. Changed pads, changed discs and still the same. I have MOV'IT 4 pot calipers on the front, I also have 10mm wheel spacers fitted but apart from that it's just like any other B5.
WTF is causing this???
Can do wheels and brake change faster than Redbull racing!

try shamfering the leading edge of the pad? swap the pads side to side?

Replaced pads from EDC to Ferodo to TRW, changed discs from Grooved new to flat new and still exactly the same.

God these f@#king brakes!!!!!!!!
Removed them AGAIN just incase I'm missing the obvious but nothing. Pads have squeal shims fitted along with Cera tec grease, discs are new and so are pads, shaved off leading edge of pads and still the ****** same. Very rarely happens when cold but very loud when up to temp.
Getting to the point now where I use my handbrake to stop at slow speeds like in town or at lights etc.
Idea's???

OK so I've been reading up on this issue I have with brake squeal. It may be due to the fact that my calipers are not the standard ones for my car and the noise is travelling through but I don't buy it, the other thing I was told to get whilst at Santa pod today is STOP SQUEAL - now this is a liquid that goes on the pad surface and sokes in, it works great with high pressed metal pads or so I'm told. Anyone else heard this??
Andy

did you bed them in?

I have a couple of bits of road that are great for bedding.

I forget what my friendly motorsport guru told me but it was a minimum of 5 stops and I am sure the speeds were 70 down to 30 or lower with driving in between to cool and avoid warping.

Yes I bed them in, TBH I have fitted brakes for over 20 years and have never had this in my life.