S4 Brake Pads

AlexGSi2000

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently in the progress of upgrading the front brakes on my B6 - I have managed to get my hands on a set of S4 front callipers from a B5 (the 4-pot callipers).

I am currently hunting around for a set of brake pads for these - and was wondering what you guys can recommend.
Naturally I am looking for some Ferodo DS2500 pads (I have used them in the past) but finding it very difficult to find them for these callipers.

I am looking for a pad that will be used for normal road use + the occasional track day - so looking for something with good cold bite and can take temperatures.

I would like to steer clear from EBC (stuff pads) as I have had a few bad experiences with them in the past.

Many thanks!

Pad selection for the B5 S4 calipers is fairly poor, made worse by them changing the pad design half way thru, you'll need to figure out which type of caliper you actually have.

Thanks for the advise, the calliper is a 1998 model which takes 4 pads per calliper.

Currently still scouring the net, but will be rebuilding the calliper fully before fitting.

the earlier pads bolt in on the outside two. later ones just clip in.

They changed mid 99, so one type is used from 98 to 99.5 and the other from 99.5 to 2001, hence the issue!

Some pad companies will list pads that appear to cover the whole 98 to 2001 range, but they will only fit one type of caliper.

EBC might be your only choice from what i can see.

If it were me, i'd bin off the S4 caliper, and get the B6/7 ATE caliper that takes the same 320mm disk as the B5 S4. Much improved pad choice for those.

Cheers aragorn,

Yes - looks like my only feasible option (cost wise) is the EBC Yellowstuff - as I stated earlier I wanted to steer clear of EBC, but its either those - standard pads, or some £220 Pagid race jobbies.

Think I will be trying out the EBC then!

I currently have the standard B6 single-pot ATE calliper on my B6 running 312mm discs and DS2500 pads. To be honest the braking power is spot on.
My reasons for wanting to change are to improve the braking performance, and also to enhance looks a little - I know the S4 calipers aren't massive Brembo look-a-likes, but im sure they will look better under 19" wheels than the standard stoppers.