Brake fluid change

adidasandy

Reaction score
Whilst I'm changing my front suspension arms I thought I would change the brake fluid at the same time, bleeding the brakes is no issue but is there a knack on bleeding the clutch up or is there just a bleed nipple near the box and bleed as normal?

Andy

I'd advise you remove the reservoir and drain it, makes sure your not diluting your fresh new fluid with manky old stuff. It just pulls off, have a tub to hand to allow it to drain into, then refit.

The clutch bleed screw is a pig to get to on an S4. I chewed my arms to bits trying to do it from above, however it seems if you go in from below, and remove the CV joint heatshield, you can get at it somewhat easier.

Use an eezibleed, but no more than 10psi, or you'll blow the reservoir to bits.

Cheers for that info, a job for my apprentice I think lol.

The clutch is a nightmare to bleed up if the pipe has been pulled as i found out when the clip popped off on the dual carridgeway, i used the tool above and it still took a while to drag the fluid through, im going to be doing the clutch aswell at end off the month when i get the goodridge hoses and super blue ate brake fluid so ill know when the fluid has been dragged through when i see blue fluid.

It has Super blue in at the mo and I'm keeping it that way just thought when I ttok the caliper off for paint I would drain the fluid off and replace with new. What side is the bleed nipple on?

Andy

It has Super blue in at the mo and I'm keeping it that way just thought when I ttok the caliper off for paint I would drain the fluid off and replace with new. What side is the bleed nipple on?

Andy

It literally takes 4 seconds to pop the reservoir out and empty it, and you get ALL the fluid, rather than just most of it.

Eezibleed really is the way forward. Bleed the clutch in about 2 minutes with one of them, no problem.

Connect it up, open nipple, wait, close nipple once bubbles are gone. Job done.

Agree with the eezibleed but you can get almost all of the fluid extracted by one of them and not going to dilute the fluid as you will be pushing it throungh the lines and topping it up in the process.

Spraying brake fluid all over the engine bay, windscreen, roof, wings and scuttle area isnt very desirable :p

You want to avoid blowing it up if you can!

ah fair enough then :p

Even at 10psi you can see it expand and swell!

i'd stick some water in it though, far more impressive when it bursts with liquid inside :p

I see a pattern here:detective2:

I blew mine last year :(

- although I was lucky, it just split at the top so I could still use the car until I got another one.

yeah, thats how mine is at the moment, thank god it was old and weak...