Removing Steering Wheel?

I

imported_Audi_DavE

Well, after a little deliberation i think its time to try sort out my immobiliser problem. only poblem is i dont know how to get the wheel off. I have a set of Torx drivers but they are all to fat to get in the holes on the steering wheel, as it is a driver that you change the end bit son (lovely and cheap!!) can any one give me some instruction on how to get the wheel off? and if so, what size drivers im gonna need, as i tink i may need to buy some proper ones. By the way its a 96 A4 if thats any use!

Thanks very much!!

[ QUOTE ]
Well, after a little deliberation i think its time to try sort out my immobiliser problem. only poblem is i dont know how to get the wheel off. I have a set of Torx drivers but they are all to fat to get in the holes on the steering wheel, as it is a driver that you change the end bit son (lovely and cheap!!) can any one give me some instruction on how to get the wheel off? and if so, what size drivers im gonna need, as i tink i may need to buy some proper ones. By the way its a 96 A4 if thats any use!

Thanks very much!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You need a rather fat torx head and a breaker bar to shift it. I treid with a regular wrench and it just wasn't happening! Takes a fair bit of shifting even with a 24" breaker bar.

Rich

if you look at some of my posts from 1.5 years ago, you'll find my solution to the immobiliser problem. if it is that you start the car and it switches off after half a sec, then it may help. I wrapped electrical tape around the immobiliser unit to hold the connector in compression too the box. might help. i need to take my wheel off to change my steering column as it squeaks when i turn the wheel, i would be interested in knowing what size torx you use.

make sure you disconnect battery and leave a few mins..

AIRBAG!

and be carfull taking it off.... make sure its straight and you dont overstretch the wires inside etc...

just take it slow.

A.