Got the shakes when braking

adidasandy

Reaction score
When braking from high speeds the car shakes pretty bad but then settles when oround 20/30mph. It's not the discs, well not the front ones anyway as these have been checked and skimmed. any thing obvious before I investigate it further next week? It does feel like it's from the front.

Andy

sounds like a "warped" disk to me.

It could be some crap on the mating face thats causing the disk not to sit true to the hub, or the company might have made a clutz of skimming them.

What brakes are they? If they're standard, why didnt you just nail on some new disks rather than messing with skimming.

Not the discs but will investigate further, something just no right about it.

could possibly be your balljoints, if not it sounds like ya discs are warped, a place where i use to work use to skim disks, to ensure the discs ran "true" to the hub, we had quite a few cars back with warped discs, get a runout gauge and check it, as if your discs was quite far out of "true" there will be a "thinner" area, therefore effecting the disc when hot, but with you saying it's not the discs, i assume you've got a runout gauge and checked.... if not, you'll need one of these ......
Redirect Notice

The discss have been skimmed and checked with gauge on the engineers turntable. Will check the mating surface though and may even get the rear discs skimmed.

Are they standard?

If so, dont waste your time skimming them, just fit new ones. They're pennies new.

No they're not standard mate, alot larger as are the capliers.

Could also be a twisted caliper piston or lame link bars.

.... you mean they didn;t skin the discs when they was fitted to the car..... i'd say the "mating" surface or hub is out a bit, see if they'll skim it on the hub, then you know for sure that the discs and hubs are "running true"

I just replaced discs and pads and aswell as sorting out the braking issues it also seemed to sort out a slight but irritating vibration when cruising at 70 mph +. no idea why the car just feels better. For 60 quids worth of pads and discs I won't hesitate to replace them a good deal sooner next time.

Just an update, after taking a good look at both calipers and discs I can say they are 100% ok but what I did find is the suspension bushes have play, one of them is half out the arm and TBH I'm just going to change the lot as they don't look the best.
Are there any upgraded arms etc or is it best to shop at Audi?
Andy

Spend the £380-£400 and get a Meyle kit from All German Parts. 4 year guarantee.

I did get some cheap ones for my wife's car for £150, and they have lasted 30,000 miles so far, a fair bit of which is up a dirt track - although they need replacing soon.

I think I was lucky though, judging by other members experiences and will be getting the next set from AGP

Last edited: