Weird ECU/Turbo Lag.

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So, i've noticed this oddness when driving the car hard, in that theres a lag after a gearchange.

So you go full throttle thru 2nd gear to say 6500rpm, change to third and go full throttle again, and the car starts to accellerate, then after a moment, perhaps 0.5-1seconds, it starts accellerating harder.

Today i noticed that if you watch the boost guage when this occurs, the needle quickly flicks round to 5psi, and sits there for this 0.5-1sec period, then it sweeps round to 10-12psi and the car stars accellerating more. So clearly its not mechanical lag, as the fact the turbo hits 5psi instantly suggests the turbo has spooled instantly but the wastegate has simply opened at actuator pressure.

I first noticed this ages ago on the Avant, and put it down to the old turbo being a bit shonky, however i've started noticing shed does it as well.

First off does anyone else have this phenomenon, and if not, any ideas of the cause?

Mine does it too. But i posted on the 8L thread as i saw it there first lol.

Mine used to do that sort off thing before the maf failed it would sort of rev but with no power and sounded like it was sucking in more air ??

Recently its been ok it just seems to loose power now and then in the top end of gears when giving it some.

Did you ever do any N75 logs?

I fitted a new N75 the other week and it seems to have solved all those issues and changing gear up top and quickly doesnt end up in hesitation/lag anymore so all`s good :)

Interesting, i've just been ignoring it (lazy etc).

Might have to get a new N75 then and see if that sorts it.

It comes and goes though, sometimes you can smoke it thru 1st to 3rd with no problems, other days its really bad. Last month i was coming out of a motorway services, gave it full throttle in first and it totally bogged down, sat there for what seemed like about a week before finally giving me boost and taking off, then 2nd and third both had massive lag after gearchange.

Aye know what you mean. Mine was the same, some days completely fine and others were terrible but now i`ve not felt it since changing the N75. Thankfully the newest E version is also cheaper at £40odd

n75 valve 100% best way to check is,disconnect the pipe comming from your acuator. leave it unplugged and block/plug open end on the n75.go for a drive and you will likley leave it like this basicly my theroy is: when changing gear at low revs/part throttle the n75 holds the wastegate open for a second so you dont get a jerky gear change, but it seams the n75 valve or the ecu gets confused and does it randomly, this has been happening to me and i did as above. i dont get this any more and i actually get boost quicker.