How difficult is it to fit front discs and pads on a B5 TDi 2.5 v6q?

Tom_B

Reaction score
I need to replace the discs and pads on my beloved A4. I can do some mechanicing but am not an expert by any means. How demanding is doing this job?
Tom

Rediculously simple.

Only issue i have ever had was one of the caliper bolts was seized in, and sheared off when i tried to remove it. but the pads didnt look like they had EVER been changed

One of the most easy DIY jobs you can do. Budget on 2 hours all in. Should be ample to get everything out, do the job, pack up and even a sly cuppa in the middle

done mine on my 2.4 V6 last week the passenger side was eaiser to take the carrier off.

a tip leave one side of the old pad on the caliper so you dont damage anything and i used one of those one handed G Clamp to push the piston home. IIRC on mine the carrier bolt was 17mm. better off with 1/2 drive socket.

Depends on how good you with are spanners/sockets I guess. Look at a Haynes manual to see how many 'Spanners' are next the task of changing the discs/pads.

It is an easy job though.

I think I'll need to change the brake fluid though. Don't its changed for a while.

... and the answer is very starightforward, got front discs and pads replaced this morning - A4 now drives much better because it stops on a sixpence. Thanks to all for help and encouragement.