Horn upgrade ponderings...

NineNails

Proud sponsor of the snack food industry
Reaction score
Whilst delving into the darkest recesses of my shed I found a horn I bought at a car boot years ago for a quid STEBEL S.p.A. - horns
My question is, can this just be wired straight to the existing horn wires? It comes with a simple relay but I'm not sure if I have to use it or not?
Cheers ;)

It should be a very easy wire straight in job, as long as it is a 12v unit. Your Audi most likely will have two horns so just use the wiring from one of them. You shouldn't need to use the relay if you use your existing horn wiring.

hmmm do the instructions tell you how many amps it pulls in operation?
infact scratch that, what amp relay were you given in the fitting kit? if the factory audi horn relay is the same or higher rated then you dont need the supplied one. just wire it up to wiring to the excisting horn.

Relay is rated @ 30A, the horn is rated at less than 18A. Surely a quick blast of the horn now and again isn't going to make anything overheat?

The two factory horns are presumably also using around 15A each though, hence the 30A fuse and big relay as standard...

Stick another 18A on top and you'll probably just blow the fuse.

Was going to use the Nautilus instead, not as well as Kev.

ah fair enough then,

The car has two horns as standard, one high and one low pitch.

Find whichever horn is closest in frequency to the new one and swap that out.

Cheers, will do. I'll give it a go when the bumper is off for the belts. Just fancy doing it for something a bit different

Not had a car with an after-market horn since the twin air horns I had on my Mexico :laugh:

Should just about be able to do it thru the grille if you want it done sooner.

I want a train horn or similar for mine, something so loud that folk in bus stops jump for cover, but unfortunately they usually require a somewhat substantial air supply.

I want a train horn or similar for mine, something so loud that folk in bus stops jump for cover, but unfortunately they usually require a somewhat substantial air supply.

Do it Kev....:lmfao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Aye seen similar before. If only I had the money to burn it sure would be a blast!