Unicorn Motor Developments ME7.x Map Switching feature

Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev.

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
We are pleased to introduce our new totally unique map switching function. This allows for up to 5 different maps to be selected instantly without the use of any additional hardware.

The driver turns on the ignition, and presses the pedals in a certain combination, which causes the map to be switched. The current map is then displayed on the rev counter to provide feedback. Press the pedals again, and you switch to the next map set.

Once the engine is started, the rev counter reverts to normal operation. The last selected map is stored so that it is remembered for the next time the engine is started.

Examples of maps include valet mode, methanol injection tune, Race fuel tune, high boost drag tune.

Rick​

I want launch control and flat shift :) when the cars ready for a tune il be popping to you guys as im in oldham, can you provided a chip for k04 hybrid, bigger injectors and maf whats the costs on that and have you 4wd rollers ???

We can map it, but no fancy features I'm afraid.

Rick

Can you do full custom maps??? Its for a PES G2 Supercharger, different injectors, rising rate fuel reg etc. Would like it all done to suit my exact car as PES generic maps are crap aswell as the standard G2 injectors.

If so, how long, how much and whats involved?

DBW loom, throttle body, ECU, MAF, injectors, Lambda, MAP sensor, throttle pot, some wiring and lots of faff.

Can you do full custom maps??? Its for a PES G2 Supercharger, different injectors, rising rate fuel reg etc. Would like it all done to suit my exact car as PES generic maps are crap aswell as the standard G2 injectors.

If so, how long, how much and whats involved?

AHEM!!! Didn't get a reply Rick, and info on this please???????

P.s I like the vid of the switchable maps, good idea, but i only want what i mentioned above, single map for all driving.

Rising rate fuel reg is very difficult to map for, any reason you are using one? We can msp such a custom setup, but even with a standard fixed differential FPR it is extremely time consuming to get it right due to the time it takes to flash, log tune, flash etc. It would be a minimum of a weeks work and around the £600 mark. We wouldn't let it go until it was right though, providing all the hardware was suitable and working properly.

Thanks, Rick

Rising rate fuel reg is very difficult to map for, any reason you are using one? We can msp such a custom setup, but even with a standard fixed differential FPR it is extremely time consuming to get it right due to the time it takes to flash, log tune, flash etc. It would be a minimum of a weeks work and around the £600 mark. We wouldn't let it go until it was right though, providing all the hardware was suitable and working properly.

Thanks, Rick

Yep, it will be time consuming and a week is around the timescale i have already spoke off with Regal Autosport.

Time is no issue with me thou, just want it done right.

When speaking to Ryan at Regal, he suggested the rising rate reg due to the design of the SC and the fact the car isnt designed to run a SC at the minute, so will help him get better fuel trims etc and more accurate and is peace of mind for me.

Regal quoted me around £400ish for the map, with new FPR £120 and fit for £70, does your price inc this also or just for the actual map?

Can you also send me some details of where you are etc, so far only you and Regal seem up to the task, most have refused or simply dont have the knowledge/tools.

Cheers, Mick.

Mick,

our price would be just for the map, and some minor tinkering as required. I actually don't understand the logic of a RR FPR. The whole idea of a vacuum referenced FPR is that you keep the fuel pressure at the injector constant so that you can calibrate only for the injector flow. Rising rates were used in the past for example on speed density cars with no MAF, and MAP sensors which could not detect positive pressure. The rising rate reg would then give the extra fuel.

As you are using a MAF, this takes care of the extra air for you. You just need to make sure you are using a MAF which isn't going to max out.

Rick

Mick,

our price would be just for the map, and some minor tinkering as required. I actually don't understand the logic of a RR FPR. The whole idea of a vacuum referenced FPR is that you keep the fuel pressure at the injector constant so that you can calibrate only for the injector flow. Rising rates were used in the past for example on speed density cars with no MAF, and MAP sensors which could not detect positive pressure. The rising rate reg would then give the extra fuel.

As you are using a MAF, this takes care of the extra air for you. You just need to make sure you are using a MAF which isn't going to max out.

Rick

As said Rick, only went on the recommendation of what Regal advised, it made sense what he said, but so does what you say???

Can you PM me some company info then and i will give you a shout to discuss what i have in mind and when etc, cheers.

Mark, I believe that would just be two different maps, as I would have thought Rick could map launch and flat shift into both of the super unleaded and low boost maps.... But why would you want that functionality on a low boost map?

Rick mapped my car recently and the tune was excellent. Will defo be going back again soon!

I need to get my clutch sorted, then i'll be over to see Rick about getting my AJL ECU mapped for its new turbo!

Scott,. it would be one with all the tricks, one with all the boost etc, but no tricks and one basic "valet " mode with none if possible, at least that would be the plan

Mark, I believe that would just be two different maps, as I would have thought Rick could map launch and flat shift into both of the super unleaded and low boost maps.... But why would you want that functionality on a low boost map?

Rick mapped my car recently and the tune was excellent. Will defo be going back again soon!

Interesting point... If you had a valet mode, would the ECU rememeber which mode it was in for subsequent starts, or would it default to map "0" every time.

I still dont see if it would remember the previous setting.

Lets say 0 was "normal high boost", 1 was "low boost" and 2 was "valet"

I can see that you'd turn the ignition on, and press them in a combination to get it to mode 2.

But then if you turn the ignition off, hand the keys to the garage, and they jump in, will it still be on mode 2, or will it have reverted back to mode 0?

The driver turns on the ignition, and presses the pedals in a certain combination, which causes the map to be switched. The current map is then displayed on the rev counter to provide feedback. Press the pedals again, and you switch to the next map set.

Once the engine is started, the rev counter reverts to normal operation. The last selected map is stored so that it is remembered for the next time the engine is started.

Going by how Rick worded it, i think the selected map is stored as the selected type for every ignition on/off etc only until the next time you repeat the pedal press sequence to change to another map, so it will stay in Valet regardless of key removal etc.

Rick, when you get a sec, PM me with costs and options please mate

PS ECU number 4B0 906 018 AA

Scott,. it would be one with all the tricks, one with all the boost etc, but no tricks and one basic "valet " mode with none if possible, at least that would be the plan

This sounds a pretty great product! I think you will be pretty busy with some of the S4/RS4 boys too if they are compatible. Great work still developing new products for these old cars.