How Many Miles to a Tank of fuel? oh and what does your DIS say mpg wise?

Iceash

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm interested to know how many miles you get from your tank of fuel. I have an A4 Quattro Avant 1.8t B5, I've been having issues with fuel so need to now know if I've sorted it. DIS is saying I'm averaging 31.2mpg and I've done 60miles and I've not hit the firs 1/4 line. However I should get 80 to 90 miles from the first 1/4.

Let me know for my sanity

Thanks,

Ash

Hey all,

I'm interested to know how many miles you get from your tank of fuel. I have an A4 Quattro Avant 1.8t B5, I've been having issues with fuel so need to now know if I've sorted it. DIS is saying I'm averaging 31.2mpg and I've done 60miles and I've not hit the firs 1/4 line. However I should get 80 to 90 miles from the first 1/4.

Let me know for my sanity

Thanks,

Ash

Cant give you an amount of mileage for a tank as I've never checked, but on a long motorway journey at about 70 i've never got above 30 as an average, so 31.2 is good.

was that from your DIS? would you say that's pretty good way of checking mpg?

Yeah from the DIS.Not really, I think you need to note the litres you put in and the actual mileage you do as I think the DIS is only a rough guide. Or at least thats how I see it

Well I brimmed it on friday, going to brim it tomorrow and work it out. But what I've been reading tonight is 26 to 30mpg is what to hope for with combined driving?

I get 30-32 on the motorway and 24 around down.

mixed fast a road driving with overtakes etc usually comes in around 28ish.

I use fuelly to track my use, as can be seen in my Sig.

I get 30-32 on the motorway and 24 around down.

mixed fast a road driving with overtakes etc usually comes in around 28ish.

I use fuelly to track my use, as can be seen in my Sig.

you have the same as me i believe?

Yeh they're both 1.8T quattros.

The missus uses the avant, so it tends to be a lot of driving to work/shops with the odd longer trip, i use the saloon and tend to do a lot of longer trips and much less town driving, hence the higher average.

Dont trust the guage for working things out either. Saying "i can get xx miles to a quarter tank" doesnt really work, as the needle doesnt move linearly.

The only way to do it is to brim the tank, drive, and brim the tank again, and compare miles driven with fuel used. Fuelly keeps track of that which means all the info is available in one place.

Mine seems pretty accurate anyway!

Tanks usually last me somewhere around 320-340miles, i've had 360ish a few times, and i suspect 400 would just about be possible if it was ALL motorway driving and you ran it down to fumes. That said, i'll tend to fill the tank when i'm at Tescos or whatever anyway, so unless its a long trip i dont often run it right down.

Looking on Fuelly my average mileage between fills is 280 on Shed and 300 on Avant.

Dont trust the guage for working things out either. Saying "i can get xx miles to a quarter tank" doesnt really work, as the needle doesnt move linearly.

The only way to do it is to brim the tank, drive, and brim the tank again, and compare miles driven with fuel used. Fuelly keeps track of that which means all the info is available in one place.

Ain't that the truth! Took a photo on Friday after letting wifey drive up the M6 for the first stint of our journey up to Edinburgh.
Not bad for a 400+BHP S4!
2012-03-23113946.jpg

Oh how we LOL'd once I'd been in the driving seat for a few miles and the needle resumed normal service under the command of my right foot!

Lol, i just sit around 70-75 on the M6 anyway, so it'll do 30+ MPG without problem. When the A701 comes along though, it tends to drop a fair amount. Hills, corners, accelleration, braking, overtaking etc all take their toll.

That said, i can usually still average 29mpg for the whole journey from Blackpool to Loanhead.

well i got 28/29mpg and dis said 30.6mpg that was mainly low mph as well and new stat fitted friday so looking good so far.

I actually managed to average 28mpg from Liverpool to Dalkeith, which was a record for me. We took the A7 for the first time ever (visiting friends up that way) and were stuck behind traffic most of the way. Got to enjoy some scenery for once. Usually when I take the Moffat road, I need to stop for a top up the way up as I'd never make the 220 miles on a single tank... that road is just too good!

lol at the fuel consumption.

Its 180miles from Loanhead to home, and i've usually got over half a tank left (on the guage at least) when i get back.

Three weeks ago it was just under half a tank and that was the most i've ever used!

You must be doing three figures down there to only manage 220miles to a tank!

Hi Aragorn, How many miles do you get to the 1st 1/4 and then how many miles to 1/2 a tank mate. That would help me greatly.

Thanks,

Ash

Maybe its showing you american MPG rather than UK?

Fuelly recons on average the car costs me 21p per mile in fuel.

Maybe its showing you american MPG rather than UK?

Fuelly recons on average the car costs me 21p per mile in fuel.

Thats a ****** good site! If I'm hitting 29mpg I'm at the high end! I'm well chuffed now lol That's according to fuelly, I might have to register :)

Thanks for all the info put my mind at rest :)

Near the bottom is a little row of icons, including facebook and twitter etc.

Right at the end is a gold shield, click that and it gives you the forum code to put it into the forum.

Near the bottom is a little row of icons, including facebook and twitter etc.

Right at the end is a gold shield, click that and it gives you the forum code to put it into the forum.

Thanks for that :)