aux water pump

madwoody1

Reaction score
just a quick question about the aux water pump mine is looking like its

sprung a leak and also the pipe has to,

i was wondering can the water pump be taken out and just a new silicon

hose put in its place so it replaces the pump instead?

has anyone ever done this?

If you ditch the water pump your going to end up cooking the head, what engine do you have a couple of people breaking some cars on here so might have what your looking for.

Well in that case you would cook both heads, water pump is a timing belt off job so i would look at getting it done all in one go its a full front end off so refresh your coolant and overhaul all the belts and rollers whilst your at it.

Hes Talking about the Aux water pump not the cars main water pump.

It does aid the main water pump in normal running conditions, however its main job is an after run pump to cool the turbo's down slower (makes them last longer without cracking) and prevent hot spots in the s4's engine which might cause hot starting problems.

If you did replace with with a piece of pipe I think in the short term it would be ok and raise no immediate issues, however in the long term your other components might start to suffer, its there for a reason, I would replace it personally.

Mine seized up on my S3 and I opted to replace it, I sourced the part off an Omega (its the same part for the S3 but cheaper from Vauxhall) Im not sure if you could get one same way or not though.

It doesnt run at all with the engine running, as it pumps water in the opposite direction to the main water pump!

S3 one might be different, but the S4 one is only powered with the engine OFF, if the coolant temp exceeds something like 105c (as standard anyway!)

That said i wouldnt recommend ditching it, its there for good reason!

Reactions: Inertiauk
yeah ive changed these before cus of leakage. its an inlet manifold off job so youll need the gaskets too.

quite a nice litlle job to do actually!