New to Audi Ownership! Want to love the car but...

Iceash

Reaction score
Hello All I'm Ash,

I own an A4 B5 Avant Quattro Reg W 2000.

The lovely car is driving me mad with niggles... Teach me to buy sold as seen.

It's got a broken ABS ring... no issues shall get it replaced.

The temp struggles to reach 70 degrees C. I'm assuming Thermostat? Would this also affect the mid 20's miles per gallon I'm getting. Anywhere between 23 to 25!

A strange knock when I brake, just once, I can't feel it just hear it. Wondering if it could be the ARB bushes? can hear a slight rattle when on rough roads. It handles like a new car as far as I'm concerned! fantastic to drive.

the Dash is well em like reading through your fingers on the LCD panel lol... I'll get that booked to be repaired in a few months.

Going to have the cambelt waterpump and thermostat changed tomorrow so hoping that will help with the fuel and piece of mind issue lol.

I'm also getting a slight electrical whistle via the radio, so I'm assuming it needs suppressing?

any advice would be great :)

thanks,

Ash

Temp will be stat.

Knocking could be either c links on arb, suspension arms/coil spring, driveshaft or cheap pads that are a little to small for the carriers just grease them up and see if it goes.

Any pics ????

Temp will be stat.

Knocking could be either c links on arb, suspension arms/coil spring, driveshaft or cheap pads that are a little to small for the carriers just grease them up and see if it goes.

Any pics ????

Crumbs really! Hope none of that isn't costly lol

and here she is

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ash, welcome to ASN. Lovely car, nice colour. Hope you enjoy the forum. :)

The suspension arms arent cheap unless you buy ebay ones but if you do you will only be replacing them again soon !!

Re the radio whine check the earth strap for the coil packs on the cam cover (under plastic cover). Suspension arms can be expensive but don't be tempted to buy cheap.

Re the radio whine check the earth strap for the coil packs on the cam cover (under plastic cover). Suspension arms can be expensive but don't be tempted to buy cheap.

Thanks for that. Changing the cambelt tomorrow so We'll check all that.

I've been pre warned that audi electric prob's could be loosing me MPG other than the thermostat what else can cause fuel usage issue if nothing is coming on warning wise?

Coolant Temp Sensor, MAF, Poor condition plugs...Will cause poor mpg. Change the Stat first and CTS if no improvement. (use genuine part only for the CTS! Dealer is about £23 for it)

A decent set of suspension arms, look for Lemforder or Meyle arms. Expect to pay £300+ for a set (both sides) but they last longer than OEM Parts. Cheapo ebay ones you will be replacing after ~4k miles.

Coolant Temp Sensor, MAF, Poor condition plugs...Will cause poor mpg. Change the Stat first and CTS if no improvement. (use genuine part only for the CTS! Dealer is about £23 for it)

A decent set of suspension arms, look for Lemforder or Meyle arms. Expect to pay £300+ for a set (both sides) but they last longer than OEM Parts. Cheapo ebay ones you will be replacing after ~4k miles.

Hi Dan,

thanks for the reply.

What would you say is more common to cause poor mpg? Plugs? mean spark plugs sir? it'd does drive really well.

It does idle like it's cold though 3/4 about 900rpm.

OEM arms are Lemforder.
I've had the same suspension arm bought from a VW Main Dealer and EuroCarParts in front of me at the same time for comparison and they were absolutely identical in every way (including Lemforder logo, colour of dust boot cover over balljoint, casting marks etc) except the Euro one quite clearly had had the VW/Audi logo ground off it, came in a plastic bag with mounting bolt/nut and was over £40 cheaper than the 'Genuine' one!

Right we're getting there! Stat was shot! new one in running constant 90 degree c and I think the fuel is improving as I can't see the needle dropping anymore lol.

Now the rattling turned out to be quite funny! it was my brake pads moving in the calipers!. However the edge of the rad is seeping slightly :( but will be changing that next week with the cambelt, water pump and broken abs ring... once all that is done it's pretty much there.

Still getting the odd tap noise from the brake pedal, can't feel it just hear it so just wondering if the connector between the pedal and servo is dry... But the suspension is sound :)